Having an Affair with My Soon-to-Be Stepdad [19]

Right, so no excuses about my visit back from the graveyard because I've been gone so long.... Sooooo

Sowwwwwy :)

_______

_______

 "James..." Mom said, sounding confused. "What exactly is going on? I thought you were staying overnight at work...and Mirage...Somebody please tell me what's going on!"

 I froze and stared blankly at James, seeing my last night flash before my eyes. The deep rock that was guilt settled down at the bottom of my stomach, giving me a feeling of pain and having to go to the bathroom mixed together as one.

 James cleared his throat and put his hand on mine. "What do you mean? I'm just picking Mirage up from her orientation..."

 "Oh-I-I mean I-" Mom began.

 "Or are you still angry about that little fight. I mean, I can just go straight back to work if you-" James began in his 'I'm-my-own-bitch voice.

"No, no, Jamie...I'm sorry," she said slowly. "Just come back safe."

 We said goodbye and hung up, me taking a huge breath and James clearing his throat again.

 "That was close..." I said nervously, everything dawning on me. I just slept with my mom's fiance. Not her BOYFRIEND, but her fiance. I looked over at James who was looking down at the the pregnancy test.

 "Give it to me," I said, reaching for it. "I need to check now to see what's going to happen."

 He only frowned and pulled out his glasses from his breast pocket. I smiled at how cute he was squinting at the writing in his big glasses.

 "What is it?" I asked, leaning over his shoulder.

 He squirmed as my sheet slipped down and my chest was bare. I rolled my eyes and pulled the sheet up, mumbling, "Haven't you had enough.?"

 He peeled his eyes away from my chest and looked down at the tiny white print, reading aloud, "For product best results, it is recommended user has checked if they have missed their menstrual period or over 14 days past ovulation."

I looked into his face, confused. "What do you mean? I have to wait two weeks?" I felt my eyes well up. "What am I supposed to do? If I get pregnant, my life is over."

 James grabbed my shoulders and looked me in the face. "No it's not. I love you. And I'll stand by you no matter what." He looked down to my stomach. "Even if that means James Jr. is gonna tag along."

 I looked up, sniffling. "To hell with me if I ever give my kid that goddamn name." I smiled and looked over at him.

 He wrapped his arm around me, laughing and kissing me on top of the head. 

 "Do you really love me?" I asked, after a few minutes had passed.

"More than a tequila on a Sunday morning," he said, smiling at me lovingly. 

I pulled away and looked him in the face. "You said you loved my mom...What about her?"

 "I do love Krystal. But I love you too. When you're old enough to drink you'll know that there are too many types of love to count. I only realized that this morning." He said, leaning back against the couch.

 "How?" I asked, grabbing the bag of clothes. Inside was a preset outfit of a red trench coat, black pleated wrap dress, black leggings, and black lace up boot heels. I pulled out some big retro sunglasses and a cute gray beanie as well.