Chapter two - Time for a Change

Arabella sat tapping her pencil against the smooth white paper that had a small outline sketched on it, as her frustration grew on her face. Why was it so hard to come up with one lousy idea for next year's spring collection she thought to herself? Finally, she put it down and grabbed the drawing to observe it, with a disapproved look at her work she crinkled the paper and threw it into the garbage that was overflowing with the same balled-up work.

A demanding voice that came from behind her."Hey you, we are going out tonight"Arabella spun around in her bright pink swivel chair "I don't know Kayla, you know I am not much of a party person." She said in a whiny objection.

Kayla shook her long sandy blonde hair and took a step towards her best friend. "Nope, we are not having any of that tonight. You, Bella, are going out, and we are going to have fun, besides the last thing we need for you to mope about that loser ex of yours when he is an ass anyway. It has been a year, now come on." She stated and turned to head towards the elevator.

"See you at seven!" That was all Bella heard as the elevator door closed before she could object again? She knew it had been a while since she put herself out there but what did people expect of her. Arabella had only been divorced for a year and honestly after being stalked, harassed, and abused by Neal, finding another man was the last thing she wanted.

After about thirty more minutes she was finally home or what someone could call home on a cheap budget. When the divorce was finalized, she let Neal take everything the homes, cars, and money. She wanted no reminder of the man who took everything from her. It was a miracle she found the job at Ralph Lauren as an assistant to one of the designers. Arabella always loved fashion but being stuck as an assistant was as close as she would get and she grabbed the opportunity. Sure the pay wasn't fantastic but to be close to the designs and see the magic at work was worth it in her mind.

Tossing her purse onto the kitchen counter, she looked at the clock realizing she had an hour to shower and throw on some clothes she rushed to the bathroom and plugged in her iPhone. It was the one leisure she loved hot water pouring on her and good music playing to drown out the sounds of the city. Once she was done she got out and opened up her closet, there wasn't much in it but work clothes, so she settled for a pair of ripped skinny jeans, a red low back tank, and black pumps.

"Are you ready to go?" Asked Kayla as she made her way to the front door. She never knew why Bella never locked the thing. This is New York the last thing anyone would want is a crazy person making their way inside.

"Yes, I am just putting on these shoes," Arabella yelled as she stumbled out of her small room and into the living room. She stopped in front of the living room mirror and eyed herself up. She had wavy dark brown locks that usually fell just below her shoulders were up in a ponytail. As always her makeup was very essential to where it was just a charcoal black eyeliner that made the specks of green in her brown eyes stand out. After she had assessed how she looked, she turned and headed towards the door and her best friend.

Kayla smiled, "You look ravishing, darling." She said in a sophisticated accent while grabbing Bella's arm. "Now, let's go paint the town red." Walking out the door and into New York City's nightlife.

Three hours later and with many shots and drinks the two girls stumble back into Arabella's apartment laughing hysterically. It had been a long time since Bella had gone out and had fun with her friends. Work seemed to be all that consumed her, hoping for the opportunity to design anything even a pair of socks. However, she knew that would not happen, and slowly her love for the city started to fade. Moving here had been Neal's dream and plan. When he left her for his secretary, it killed her, especially when she found out they were expecting. The last year of their marriage Bella talked about wanting to start a family, and he always said it wasn't in his plan. It turned out it was, just not with her. The job helped her out of the slump, and she owed so much to Kayla for being there on her bad nights.

Arabella sighed as they finally rested on the red suede sofa and pulled out her computer. It was something they did every time they drank too much, surf the internet, and called dibs on single men on a dating site then plan their life story. Kayla grabbed it out of her hands and searched the top twenty dating sites. Clicking through them they laughed and told their futures. Then they clicked on DateACowboy.com. There was always something about a man in tight-fitting jeans and a cowboy hat that made both of them giddy.

"Oh my God, Bells I found your future husband," Kayla said in a gasped breath while holding in a laugh that made it sound like she was snorting.

Grabbing the computer out of her friend's prying hands Arabella saw him. The profile name said Jonathan Wood's the picture said Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome. She stared at his profile photo for a few more seconds before reading what he had as a description.

Occupation: RancherAge: 32Kids: NoneThe reason for Signing up: I am in desperate need to save my family ranch. To do so, I need to find a wife that will be temporary and must stay married for no less than six months. Only reply if you have a serious inquiry about this proposition, Thank you, Jonathan.

He couldn't be serious, about looking for a temporary wife, could he? Now she understood why her best friend was laughing about it. Bella smacked her friend "Why in the hell would you think he would be for me?" She asked in a squeaky voice.

Kayla couldn't contain her laughter anymore and started crying because it was just so funny. "I was joking. I mean what kind of guy puts an ad on a dating website for a fake wife." She said and then with hesitation continued. "However, it wouldn't hurt you to talk to him. It's been over a year since your divorce, and you refuse to move on. Being a temporary wife could give you that chance to seek new opportunities."

Arabella took what her friend had said. She knew that Kayla was right, but she was afraid to put herself out there. The more she thought about it, the more it made sense that this would work for her. "You know what you're right." She stated

It took about a total of fifteen minutes to make a profile that both of them were happy with. The hardest part was agreeing on the profile picture that would get his attention and make her stand out from any others that would be applying for this job, or that's how Bella looked at it. Finally, they decided to take a brand new of her in the outfit she was in with her hair down and standing on the balcony. Once that was taken care of, she sent him the same information he provided and decided to wait to see if he would answer.