Prologue

APPALACHAIN MOUNTAINS, NC: 10:50 PM

Everything's a blur, the trees, bushes, everything. I run as fast as I can, as fast as humanly possible. While holding the hand of my girlfriend who, at the time was just a regular girl, nothing wrong, nothing abnormal, nothing extraordinary, she was just a girl at school. But, things changed, she changed. Now we were being chased by lord knows what, all I see in the forest is black blurs and... wings?

"Huff, puff. I think we lost 'em." I say panting, reaching for breath. "Autumn what's going on? What are those things? Am I hallucinating?"

"Yes Luke honey, you're hallucinating. "Yes Luke honey, you're hallucinating. None of this is real, I'm gonna take you to the doctors, and they'll look at you, ok?" she said reassuringly, reluctantly I agreed. Then they catch up, and she does something unexpected. "I'm sorry, Luke. For your, and my safety, I have to do this." And she gives me a hard elbow to the side of the head, and the next thing I see is darkness. And to think today was our 1 month anniversary, I don't know, to me that doesn't seem right.

First off, my name is Luke, and since I was born nothing was every abnormal, everything was just normal, and I liked it. As a child, a babysitter, named Cathy, would come and watch me while my parents were out. Later, on my first field trip, a new teacher was introduced to be my groups watcher, or as she called it. She was our "guardian angel." Which, was cool at the time, none of my group really payed attention. She was just a normal chaperone. So, normal, normal, normal. Up until recently... well, now actually, when Autumn's and I started dating, that's when things got... un-normal.