Flight

Happy Christmas/Chaunakah/Kwanzaa/Winter Solstice/Whatever it is that you may or may not be celebrating at this time!

Here's the deal.  I'm uploading this very long, pivotal chapter early as a christmas/chaunakah/kwanzaa/winter solstice/whatever it is that you may or may not be celebrating at this time present because I'm nice like that.  I will not be updating again until after new year's so that the info in this chapter can have some time to sink in.  So savor it, and try not to throw your computer or mobile device across the room in grief when you read what I'm about to reveal.

Chapter 12-  8 months later

"I'll give him the message if I see him, but I doubt that's going to be possible.  I'm never gong to see Connor again.  Sir... I hate to ask this of you, but you may be my only hope.  I've been chained to this wall for the last ten months.  I've been abused, neglected, assaulted, starved, beaten.  I was forced to give up my eggs to the Minister so that he could father a child to take over a political regime I hate.  My child is going to be the next Minister.  My other child was probably killed by the current Minister.  I'm never going to see Connor again.  I know you can't set me free.  I know it's too big of a risk.  I only ask one thing: Let me die.  Give me a razor, and let me die."

"I know it's been hard.  The Infinity Collective only wishes that it were possible to free you without destroying plans that have been in the works for months, plans that will help so many.  I... I will do as you ask.  I don't feel good about it, but I would rather you die on your terms than let you suffer."

"I understand.  Please don't trouble yourself on my account, sir, by feeling guilt for what I am about to do.  Ever since I was given my orders by the Minister almost a year ago, it has been my fervent wish to die.  I only wish that it wasn't going to hurt Connor so profoundly."

"On the contrary, my dear Rachel.  Your death may actually help the young man you claim to love.  By taking yourself out of the equation, so to speak, you make it easier for him to retaliate against the Colony without fear of harming you."

She was silent for a moment.  "You will look after him, won't you?"

I handed her the small razor.  "My dear, I will guard them both with my life."  I turned to leave.

"Sir?"

"Yes, Rachel?"

"There was that other matter of the diary."

"Ah.  Of course, Rachel.  I had almost forgotten.  Here you are," I said, taking the notebook and pen and placing them carefully under the bed.  "You should have time to complete that before tonight if you hurry."

"Thank you, sir.  You have no idea how much this means to me."

"The pleasure is all mine."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

Antony's POV, 8 months previous

The next several months of my life were spent in that room.  The Ringmaster decided that it would be easier for me to guard Roxanne if I never left her side, so I did just that.  When Melchior was in the room, they were borderline delirious with what appeared to be love.  I guess I should be thankful that after what I did to her she can even feel love anymore.  When we were alone, we didn't speak.  We had said everything that needed to be said, and now that there was nothing more to be said, we didn't see any need to speak to one another.  She lay there on her table, sometimes sedated, sometimes not, and I sat in the chair in the corner and watched her. 

The months passed.  Because there were no windows in the prison, the days were marked by the passage of Melchior through the room, and the months were marked by the growth of the child in Roxanne's belly.