Chapter 27

"Zayn."

"Hey..." His hand found it's usual spot on his neck.

"Let me guess...you wanna talk?" I was still coming off as cold, even though on the inside I was over the whole thing. The fight was tiring. I could tell he was tired too, but for some reason on the outside I couldn't show how I felt. It was a really awkward encounter.

"I've been trying to talk all day."

"Come in." I sighed. "What do you want? Why can't you just leave this alone?"

"Because, Daisy. I care about you, and if I leave this alone I'll lose you. I just....I can't do that."

"Well then you have a lot of answering to do." I shut the door behind him.

"Answering?" He moved to lock the door as I walked past him.

"I have questions. Questions that've built up over time, and frankly if I hold them in any longer I'm afraid they'll devour me."

"Go ahead, then." He was less than eager.

"What'd my dad tell you?" I took a seat on the couch, sitting criss-crossed.

"When?" He joined me on the couch, sitting at the far end to give me some space.

"When you came here yesterday, and I didn't want to see you, my dad said 'Remember what I told you.'" I tried to re-jog his memory. "What'd he tell you?"

"He just..." He seemed unsure about the situation. Like he wasn't supposed to tell me. "I got a lecture that first night I met him, at dinner. Or whatever you called it."

"Brinner."

"Right." His lips curved a bit at the word. "He told me you're sensitive, and don't really have many people in your life. And that you've dealt with enough loss. Basically he was saying that if I ever hurt you, he would handle me." He shrugged. "It doesn't scare me. I promised him I'd take care of you, and I meant it. I never want to hurt you."

"Well you're doing a great job, huh." My tone was thick with resentment.

"Is that your only question?" No matter how rude I was, it didn't phase him. I started to feel bad, but I just couldn't stop. My mouth was ignoring my heart.

"Oh, no. That's just the tip of the iceberg." He motioned for me to continue. "How long have you known Franky?" My voice was accusing, but I was upset.

"Not long."

"Why don't I believe you?"

He sighed and began rubbing his neck, his stress becoming visible. "Remember that first day at Franky's? When I showed up with Christian? I only went cause I knew you were there."

"How?" I tried to recall the day Lilly and I went over for a short amount of time and played video games.

"He asked you to come over in class. It pissed me off." I remember thinking I saw him tense up, but I thought I was just crazy. "I know it shouldn't have, but it did. I went straight to Christians after school and told him we should go to Franky's. I didn't really know the guy, but Christian did. I'd only seen him once or twice at some parties."

"He said he's known you for a year."

"I'm sure he has. But that doesn't mean we're friends. You've known me for 4 years."

"Known of you."

"Exactly. He still just knows of me. I don't even know the guys last name." Now that I think about it, neither do I.

"Are you and Christian still friends?"

"Ever since he touched you? Hell no. He's lucky I haven't killed him for that." His face scrunched up and his fists clenched onto the couch.