Chapter Three: Sean

"Can I have another?" I thanked the bartender and grabbed the drink hastily, downing it in two seconds. I instantly winced at the strong burning down my throat. "Can I have-."

Before I could place the shot glass down, someone had grabbed it out of my hand. "Oh no, no, no. You don't need anymore, man." I turned towards the masculine voice and put on a fake grin. It was either that or I groan out loud in annoyance. Its not that I didn't love my best friend, but 2 hours ago, I was about to find out whether Nessa loved me back and I hadn't... Cos of him.

"I'm alright, Mike. I can handle my liquor."

"Really? How many glasses of whiskey have you had?" I paused and tried to trace back before chuckling and reaching for the shot glass again.

"Way too many to count." I finally snatched it away from him. "And now I'm about to make it way too many to count plus one. Bartender." I gave him a gesture and he refilled my glass. Slowly and slowly I was burying the pain. The pain I'd had to deal with all day. From the moment I'd woken up and seen all the decorations for Vanessa and Michael, to the moment they had their first dance. That was the part that really killed me and I could tell Vanessa knew it too because she avoided all eye contact. Their first dance was to her and I's favourite song.

"What's up, man? What happened?" He asked, genuinely concerned. I stayed quiet, not wanting to tell him the true reason. "You wanna go outside for a second and tell me cos you're getting me worried?"

"I told someone I loved them today." The look on his face was priceless.

"What? Sean Barnes in love? So why do you look so glum? What did she say?" He seemed honestly excited for me. Nobody ever thought I was capable of loving someone. Hell, they had reason to think so, I mean, being one of San Francisco's most eligible bachelors had its perks and I never refused when somebody offered me something. But then I guess they thought I wasn't able to love because I never showed signs of loving someone... Probably because I'd always loved Nessa.

"Absolutely nothing."

"Ooh, I'm sorry man. Who is the girl anyway?" I stared into his eyes, wanting to tell him 'your wife' but I couldn't. This was my best friend. My brother from another mother.

A figure approached us. "Michael, your mom and dad want to take some pictures with you." He quickly nodded and left, making me promise to tell him later and leaving me with my actual older brother. "I'm guessing you told her." How Scott had managed to guess that, I don't know.

"Yeah and I didn't even get an answer back. She looked pretty damn shocked but now she won't even look at me." I began to idly finger the glass as Scott settled into the stool next to me. He looked almost like me, except for his neatly trimmed goatee and his bald head, but we both had the same dark skin tone and dimples.

"So how is draining the minibar going to help anything?" I looked over at him and gave him a firm look. He knew I hated when he started going all trying to give advice. He needed to save that shit for his work place not me.

"It soothes my pain, Scott. Now stop trying to go all Doctor Barnes on me." He shrugged his shoulders.

"I'm just saying, you're gonna regret all of this in the morning. I told you you were leaving it too late. You should've told her when you first realised you love her."

"I first realised I loved her the day her and Mike got together, you know it was the jealousy that got me to admit it. Now how would that have been fair to Mike? He's my best friend."

"What is wrong with you, man? Yeah he's your best friend but you're in love with her. Look, I think you went about it all wrong. Telling her literally 10 minutes after she got married was foul so don't be angry at how she's reacting. She doesn't know how to deal with it yet." He had a point there, I couldn't lie.