Chapter Two: Vanessa

"Vanessa!" I turned towards the voice and grinned when I saw it was Sean. This was the first time I'd seen him properly up close and ol' boy was looking good! I ran towards him as fast as I could in my heels and jumped into his arms, giggling when he held me tight and spun me around. When he put me down, I couldn't help the silly little girl twirl I did. "What the hell has gotten into you?" He laughed.

I couldn't help it. I was ecstatic! "I'm married!" I could've sworn I saw his smile falter a little but a second later, he was shaking his head at me playfully. "Wait. Can we continue this conversation in my suite please? My feet are killin' me and I need to change into my reception outfit." I grabbed his arm and we proceeded to walk the rest of the way across the lobby and into lobby, up to my floor. "You know, it still hasn't even sunk in yet."

"Sorry, what?" He said, hands deep in his pockets.

I stepped out of the elevator. "I said; it hasn't even sunk in yet. It still feels like just yesterday Mike was asking me out." I smiled fondly at the memory of a 17 year old Michael asking me out after 3 years of friendship. When I turned to Sean, he had a strange look on his face. "Sean!" His head whipped up again. "Damn, where's your head at today? Smile! Your best friends are married!"

I walked into Mike and I's suite and immediately went in search of my outfit, telling him to stay put for a minute while I went to go change. We both knew that a minute would turn into 30 minutes of me getting ready. When I finally emerged from the bathroom in a gold, shorter, more comfortable dress, Sean seemed to be talking to himself. "Who you talkin' to?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. His brown eyes shot up to me and lingered on my dress. "Does it look okay? You're staring as if it looks ugly." He patted the seat next to him and I went over to sit on the space.

"I need to talk to you." I noticed he had a serious glint in his eyes and instantly I knew it wasn't the time to mess around. I was supposed to be at the reception 5 minutes ago but I didn't mind being late for Sean. I didn't mind doing anything for Sean. Hell, I'd walk to Brazil and back if it meant to have him happy.

"Yeah, what is it?"

He took a deep breath and I was slightly alarmed. Sean Barnes was not the nervous type. He never got nervous. Ever. "Sean?"

"I love you." Really? Was that it? That's all he wanted to tell me? I rolled my eyes and squeezed his hand.

"Sean, I love you too. Was that all you wanted to say to me?" I sucked my teeth. "Boy, come on now! We're gonna be late."

He chuckled bitterly. "You don't get it, Nessa. I'm in love with you." The words seemed to roll off his tongue in slow motion and I sat there, frozen in place. "I don't love you like a brother or a best friend, I love you like a man loves his woman. Shit, I've loved you since you told me you'd always share your special crayons with me in kindergarten." I wanted to laugh at the memory. In any other circumstance, I would have. But right now? Right now all I could do was stay still. I blinked a couple of times and opened my mouth to form a word even though nothing came out. "Vanessa. You, uh, you wanna say something?" His face looked so vulnerable! I hated him for putting me in such a position.

"Sean," I spoke, finally finding my voice. "Why-."

"Baby! Where you at? Everybody's waiting for you!" Michael had suddenly burst into the suite, serving as the perfect excuse for me to end the moment. I quickly stood and went over to him, hoping he hadn't seen our joint hands. Mike wasn't the jealous type but I knew he had a slight problem with just how close Sean and I could get. "Why are you guys still up here? We've all been waiting for you!"

"I had to get changed and then Sean and I here just started reminiscing on old times." He believed my partially true story and began going off into some flashback about how clumsy I used to be. My thoughts instantly drifted back to the words that had been spoken just a minute ago. He loved me?

"Nessa!"

By the time I looked back up, I noticed he was standing beside Michael. "Huh?" I tried my hardest not to let my eyes wander over to him. Lord knows they wanted to. Just to see some sign on whether it was true or not.

"I was saying you look divine in that dress." I felt myself blush and allowed him to pull his hand towards mine. The hand that had been on top of Sean's as he told me he loved me.

Argh! Snap out of it, I told myself. He wasn't serious. Sean Barnes never fell in love. Ever. Well that was probably because he'd always been in love with me.

I begged the little voices inside of my head to shut up so that I could enjoy the rest of my evening. "Shall we?" This time when I looked back in his direction, Sean had left. I inwardly sighed a breath of relief as I took my husband's arm and leaned in to give him a long, passionate kiss just to show him how much I loved him.

Why I felt the need to do that, I don't know.

"Whoa. What was that for?" He pulled back, grinning.

"I love you, that's all." He gave me another delicious kiss and this one pulled a moan from deep in my throat. Damn, this man could kiss.

"I love you too, Mrs Hayes. Now come on."

On our way down, I couldn't help but think how two simple words had made my day so amazing and now 3 simple words had already turned my evening sour.