Chapter 2

I built up the courage just as he stepped into the living room. If I weren't a robber trying to get away, I would have laughed at the look on his face. His jaw hanging open, brown eyes wide with disbelief. I darted across, and he snapped out of his trance.

"Anna! Call 9-1-1! There is a robber!" He yelled and I saw the woman standing in the doorway, already dialing.

Crap. 

I slid open the window in two seconds flat, and I was free. Without hesitation I darted through the forest nearby. 

I have about 10 minutes to get away before the cops and their canines get here. I estimated.

The saw a stream and waded across it, stumbing on the slippery rocks. 

Behind me I heard barking and shouts. "He has a scent!" Hopefully the stream will mask most of my scent. 

I had to find a spot to hide, quick. I carefully hid the bag in a tree. The darkness should make it hard to see. Then I kept running. 

What'd you get yourself into Katherine? I scolded myself.

*******************

The sound of barking had disappeared but you can never be sure that they're gone. My legs ached and screamed for me to stop. But that was impossible. Stopping meant giving up and I was certainly not giving up. I would not deny my parents that satisfaction.

The image my mind conjured up of me sitting in jail, begging them to bail me out. Them sitting outside the cell with a smug look on their face, gave me a little something extra to keep going.

My legs pumped harder and faster. I had no clue of where I was, no cue of where the bag of valuables were. I had decided it wasn't worth it to go back and risk being caught for it.

Yet I thought about the canned food and bottles of water inside it and my stomach grumbing. Testifying its ack of food.

Maybe they found the bag and went home? Thats means its safe to rest. I thought hopefully. 

I knew it was foolish but I knew I couldn't go on any longer. My knees gave out and I crumpled to the forest floor. Dead leaves crunched and crinkled under my wieght. Yet I didn't care.

My eyelids were heavy and I allowed them to flutter closed.

*******************

"Kat, if you run away again, they will not hesitate to take you to juvy!" My mother wailed, arms flailing for emphasis.

My response was to roll my eyes- very teenage like- and cross my arms in a 'so what?' manner.

She let out a long breath, as if giving up. Thats when I noticed tear streaks going down her face and my resistance faltered for a second.

"I'm done. I can't take the constant worrying over you." She spoke softly but her words stabbed at me with serrated edges.

I awoke with a jolt. That was a dream... but it wasn't. I mean. I dreamed it but it was a memory. The last memory I have of mom.

I felt tears prick in my eyes.

No. You cannot cry now. She gave up.

Yeah, but it was my fault!

I felt frustrated, my mind was at war over something stupid.

Just forget it.

I rubbed my palms against my eyes, getting rid of the unspilled tears. Standing up, I remembered everything that happened last night. Soft light was just beginning to filter through the leaves of the trees overhead. All of this led me to believe it was around 6:00 am.

A breeze chilled me, my arms curled around my sides. A failed attempt at warming myself.

My feet ached but I had to keep going.

There are no houses out in the middle of the woods. This is stupid.

But its not like I can turn back! The man clearly saw my face. There will be wanted signs all over the place. Someone will notice me and I'll be locked away.

Well, I had a good point.

*******************

 It felt as if I'd been walking for ages, though I knew it had only been an hour or two.

My shoes crunched noisily on the dead leaves, my pace slow and painful.

I looked up, hearing noises in front of me. Three God-like men stood in front of me. Their arms crossed over bare chests, glaring at me.

Then I felt someone grab me from behind, that's when I snapped out of it. A high pitched scream left my mouth- well, until the person behind me muffled the piercing noise.

I bit down hard on his hand. He muttered curses and loosened his hold for a second. I took that as my chance and bolted from his grasp.

"Hey! Don't make me chase you!" He shouted, as if scolding a child.

Pfft. Child.

I ran blindingly through the forest, possibly for my life.

Although, I had no doubts. I could outrun them easily. As I had done track for a few years in middle school. Yes, they did look fit but they seemed like the slow types.

I only got a few feet away before I was tackled to the ground. The air was knocked out of me. The man above me muttered- no growled, like animalistic growl. I kid you not- "She's human."

Well, my smart aleck self couldn't keep my trap shut. "No. You don't say! All this time I thought I was an alien. Thank you so much-" He cut me off with a painful yank upwards, holding my hands firmly behind my back.

I groaned in pain. "Well, that wasn't very gentlemen-like." I muttered. He rewarded me by pulling my hands further back. Pain erupted from my shoulder blades. I felt him tie my wrists together. A plastic-like material dug into my skin. He zip-tied my wrists together! He could have made this easier for me by at least using a rope.

He jerked me around to face him. His face still looked beautiful when contorted in anger. "Listen you little runt. I could easily kill you right here." I felt rage bubble inside me.

I spit in his face. "Screw you." I retorted. He swiped the spit from his face but before he could do anything, another- much calmer but equally sexy- man put a hand on his shoulder. "Woah Kyle. Take it easy. Just take her to the house."

The one now known as 'Kyle' pushed me forward, making me stumble. "Get going runt." He ordered. Now my anger dissolved into fear. Kyle was right, he could easily kill me.

**Author's Note** Okay! I love how this story is coming together. Kyle seems pretty rude and Kat seems pretty... sarcastic. I wonder who else is going to show up in the story... *Wink, wink* Anywayz, comment, vote, and keep reading! Thanks to those who commented and voted last time! I really appreciate it.