Chapter 14

Shattered fragments of Darius' heart were scattered everywhere for anyone to see. His breath was caught in his throat and he felt like he was suffocating which was technically impossible for a vampire. They did not need air to physically survive. Yet he felt like he was dying. Deva was his air, his life. And he was losing her. She was slipping through his grasp. He wasn't even sure he could go on without her. Darius took hold of a chair and didn't know he was clinching his fist until he heard a snap. The chair broke and distracted him only but a moment. 

Deva went to him. She went to Darius' one true enemy and released him from his imprisonment those few years ago. She went behind his back. Darius felt like a fool. How could he not have known? He tried so hard to be all that she needed. He understood the bond she had with Adamarius but he thought he could fill in the gap and replace him completely for her. He thought it had worked. The first few years they lived in bliss and once Alcide was born he know nothing could take her away from him and their son. How wrong he was? 

She was an incredible actress. How long had she felt her feelings and this secret bottled up? Was it all a lie? Did she even love him or was there some sick twisted motive to all his suffering? The deceit was too much to bare. Darius ducked his head and bile came flooding out. He was dizzy with grief and deception. His body suddenly gave out and he slumped to the floor. Thousands of plunging daggers could not compare to the torturous he was feeling.  

Was it a lie? Was it always just a lie? Darius had unstoppable tears cascading down his face. Deva was his everything. His whole life revolved around her. The way she kissed him, loved him, it was beyond words. No, he shook his head. Deva loved him. Even if it was just a moment Darius knew she loved him. After hours of dwelling in the deep anguish of realization Darius heard the door open. 

"Daddy," Aclide rubbed the sleep from his eyes. 

Darius immediately got up, hoping his face would not give away his distraught state. He didn't want his son to worry. "Alcide why aren't you in bed?" 

Darius lifted the tiny boy in his arms. "I miss momma." Deva would usually stay with his in bed till he fell asleep. 

"Me too, son. Me too." Darius hugged him tighter. They only had each at the moment. "But she'll be back soon." There was no way she would abandon them.  He knew in his heart she loved their son too much to let go. 

Alcide's tiny little fingers curled into Darius' hair, something Deva always did when something was on her mind. 

"Everything is going to be ok," he tried to sooth. 

Alcide nodded. "Can I sleep with you?" 

Darius was already carrying him into his room. "Of course." 

Darius watched as his son cuddled close and shut his eyes. It wasn't long till Alcide was completely knocked out. He was tired and exhausted to begin with. The sun was peaking through the windows when an urgent knock filled his ears and woke Darius from his restless daydream. The culprit didn't even wait for an invitation before storming in. 

Marcus looked panic. "Darius something has happened." 

By the tone of his voice Darius knew it was serious. He gently got out of bed, careful not to wake Alcide. 

They entered the study room where Lucian and a guest, a man Darius had never seen before, were waiting. 

"What's going on?" 

Lucian averted eyes contact while pacing around the desk. The stranger gave Darius a fearful swallow before replying. Darius was a king that no one wanted to have on his bad side.