Chapter 3

I shifted uncomfortably on the couch and kept on trying to avoid Cade's glare. It felt like his eyes were burning a hole in my head though. He's been sitting there for at least ten minutes doing that and I felt like I should say something, but what? Luckily, I was saved by the other three boys walking in.

"Hey hey," Collin said as he entered the room. "I'm back so don't all jump at once."

Cade rolled his eyes. "Who's jumping?"

"I am." I threw my arms around Collin who returned the hug.

"How you doing kid?"

"Pretty good."

"Yeah, pretty good for being thrown into a suicide mission." Cade said, behind me.

I wish he would shut up. Like really, was this kind of reaction necessary?

"What's he talking about?" Collin asked.

"It's nothing, really."

Liam walked in the room with Sam and Alex behind him. He looked like he had a headache. Sam ran over to me and hugged me, and then looked at Liam.

"How could you send this girl into something like that? Look at this face Liam!" Sam turned me towards my brother who rolled his eyes.

"Ok, lets clear some things up," Liam announced to the whole room. "After I told Jamie what I wanted her to do, I gave her a choice. Her doing this is HER decision. If you want to talk someone out of it, talk to Jamie."

We all sat there in silence while someone worked up the nerve to say something. No one wanted to set Liam off. Ever since he became the leader of this...thing we have, he's been like a ticking bomb.

"What is going on?!" Collin finally asked.

"Liam is sending Jamie to make Avery Thomas fall in love with her to get the information he wants." Alex answered in a monotone.

"The hell he is," Collin pulled me into another hug. "What happened to protecting Jamie at all costs?"

"Like I said, this was her choice." Liam growled.

Cade jumped up. "But you put the idea in her head!"

I didn't like the stare down going on between these two. Liam could kill Cade in a minute, and I have a feeling with the tension in this room, he wouldn't hesitate to do it. None of us ever go against Liam's decisions, and now that everyone is, he's going to feel the need to show all of us who is in charge.

"Cade, sit down." I said.

"Yeah Cade. Sit down." Collin told him in a warning tone. He knew that if Liam hurt his little brother, he would have to hurt Liam. That's the last thing he would want to do.

He started to walk away, but grabbed my arm in the process. "Come with me." He pulled me down the hall and into my room. I thought he would yell or at least give me some big long speech about how bad of a choice this was. But as soon as the door closed his eyes got softer. He wasn't trying to be tough anymore. He was being the shy, vulnerable little boy he was when he first got here.

"Please Jamie. Please do not go through with this." His voice was shaky.

I took his face in my hands and made him look at me. "Why? What are you so worried about Cade?"

"You. Every single day Liam sends you out to do something I worry about you, but I don't show because I know you're good enough not to get caught. Even if you did get caught, you could take care of yourself. If you get caught when you're with Avery, you won't be able to do anything about it. He will kill you and that's it."