Invisible People: Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Ruby entered the back room.  “Amy?  I can hear you all the way outside of the store.  Who are you talking to?  Jack?”

Amy huffed at Ruby.  “Why were you outside of the store?  I don’t want you bothering Paula--”

“I was just peeking over the railing,” Ruby said, grinning.  “I swear!  She’s not happy, that’s for sure!  And Kelsey showed up early for her shift.  She’s minding the counter, so you don’t have to look at me like I’m slacking.  Is Jack here?  Did he say why he kissed you?”

Amy rolled her lips.  “Jack has, apparently, been suspended from duties for the time being.”  She glanced at Fred, who was staring bug-eyed at Ruby ever since Ruby asked about his co-worker.

“She knows about Jack?” he asked, alarmed.

“Yes, and now she’ll know about you,” Amy said, and Ruby squinted at the air in front of her.  Fred shook his head, saying, “No, no...it’s against regulations--”

“Who are you talking to, if it’s not Jack?” Ruby asked, swiping her hand in front of her, where she assumed Amy was looking at Fred.

“Ruby, meet Fred...Fred, show yourself,” Amy commanded.

“Fred?” Ruby asked, and Fred took a terrified step back, saying, “No, no...I’ll get in so much trouble--”

“You said anything,” Amy reminded him.  “Now, introduce yourself to Ruby.”

Fred sighed...he shimmered again, and Ruby grinned.  “Well, hey there, cutie,” Ruby said, her eyes landing on Fred.  “You’re Jack’s replacement?  Hot damn!”

“I’m just a temp,” Fred muttered, looking dejected.

“A temp?  Imaginary Friends have those?” Ruby asked.  Then she put her hands on her hips and furrowed her forehead.  “Are you all guys?  Are there no women Friends?”

Amy looked at Fred.  “Yeah, why do I only get guys?  Martha is female, right?”

Fred sighed and sat on the futon.  “I’m assuming Jack didn’t explain that, either?”

“No...so, you get to do it,” Amy said.

Fred scratched his stomach, looking uncomfortable.  “They say it gets better,” he mumbled.  “But I don’t see how…”

“What are you talking about now?”

Fred gave them both a sheepish smile.  “It itches here...the human world.  They say the more I’m exposed to this world, the less I notice it, but…”  He shrugged and started scratching at both legs.  Amy thought, Well, that explains Jack’s propensity for scraping at himself.

“Stop it,” Ruby said, rubbing her palms together.  “You’re making me itchy.”