Invisible People: Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Amy rode along, beside Heath, enjoying the play of sunshine on the patches of remaining snow.

"Want me to bump her off?" came Jack's voice from the back seat.

Amy squeaked.

Heath jerked the wheel and hit the brake pedal.  "What's wrong?" he asked.

Jack laughed.

"Sorry," said Amy, heating up in the cheeks.  "I, uh, bit my tongue."

And Jack laughed harder.

Heath blew out a breath.  "You scared me.  Are you okay?  Bleeding?"

"No, no, I'm fine." She angled herself so she could see in the back without obviously glaring at no one back there.

Jack said, "You two are a hoot.  I haven't had this much fun since Chelsea from Kansas...she had Tourettes.  Fell in love with a deaf dude...match made in heaven, if you ask me."

Amy didn't worry how dumb she looked -- she blatantly stared.  Shut up; go away, she mouthed to Jack, who only shrugged.

"Anyway, about the barbie doll...want me to bump her off?  If she's interfering, I can get rid of her.  I'm here to help, after all."

"What'cha looking at now?" Heath asked, craning his neck around briefly.  "I know its messy, but I clean it out, then I'm right back to loading it down with gear and junk."

Amy, focused on Jack, said, "Huh?"

"The mess back there," Heath said, pulling into the theater parking lot.  "Isn't that what you're staring at?"

Jack grinned.  "If you say you're staring at the mess, then I'll be insulted."

She narrowed her eyes and reached over the seat toward him, but with a snarky twist of her mouth, she snatched The Hitchhiker’s Guide off the back seat next to him.  "I was actually looking for this...don’t want to forget it.  I haven’t found a good book to read in a long time.”

“I would have thought you’ve already read it,” Heath commented.  

“Why do you say that?”

“Because...um, nevermind.”  He set the Tahoe in park and cut the engine.

Heath’s face averted, but she could see the tips of his ears heating up.  Amy unbuckled her seatbelt and put a hand on his arm.  “Because why?”

He blew out a breath.  “Don’t get upset, okay?” he said, looking back at her.  “But I’ve always thought you were a book kind of girl...liked to read a lot.”