Invisible People: Chapter 19

Chapter 19

“Oh, my GOD!  Stop!” Ruby shouted at Amy, who looked up from the rock bin she was cleaning out.

“What’s wrong?” Amy asked.

“You!  That’s what’s wrong!”  Ruby stomped over to Amy and slapped her hands on top of all those polished rocks...scattering them in every direction inside the bin.  “You’ve been sorting these damn things for an hour!  What’s wrong with you?”

Amy glanced down, blinking as she realized she’d been doing just that...making piles of rocks, according to color and size.  And it was all because she couldn’t get her mind straight.  Why did he do that?  Why did he kiss me like that?  Jack...what is going on?

“Amy?  You’ve been acting weird all day,” Ruby said, worried.  “Did something happen between you and Dr. Dreamy?  I noticed that you hid in the back room when he showed up this morning.”

“It’s not Heath,” she sighed.  “It’s Jack.”

“Oh…”  Ruby stood up straight and pursed her lips.  Today, she wore all black, from head to toe, only her head and hands glowing white in the soft light of the store.  Amy felt like she should be the one wearing such a morbid color.  Everytime she thought about Jack kissing her last night, she died a little inside.  Jack...what happened with you?  Why did you do that?

“Jack, huh?” Ruby went on.  “You and the good doc finally do it, and Jack peeps in?”

Amy closed her eyes with a wry smile.  “No.”

“He didn’t peek, or you didn’t do it yet?”

“Heath and I are not sleeping together,” Amy clarified.

“Then that’s what’s wrong with you,” Ruby said.  “Good lord, you two have been dating for weeks now...when are you gonna get naked and count birthmarks?”

Instead of answering, Amy asked, “How are you and Tony doing?”

“Me and Tony?”  A goofy grin spread across Ruby’s face.  “We’re fantastic!  That man is, well, fantastic!  He knows what I want, when I want it, and he’s not ashamed to give it to me.  And his parents love me...love me!  They say it’s nice that he’s dating such a normal girl now.”

“Normal?  Really?”  Amy looked up at Ruby, whose nose ring glinted in the light, and who was currently sporting an orange streak in her hair.  “What kind of girl did he normally date?”

“Do not even get me started on that,” Ruby grumped.  “I don’t understand how any guy could get hooked up with some of the chicks his mom told me about...baby mommas, everyone.  His mother loves me because I have no interested in getting myself knocked up.”

Amy had to laugh.  “I’d love to be a fly on the wall when you had that conversation.”