Chapter 10

When Norah woke it was late in the afternoon and looking over at the clock and noticed that it was after four. She also noticed that all of her medications were on the nightstand as well as water and her art supplies. She guessed that it was Caleb's way of telling her not to move.

She smiled it had been a long time since someone had willingly looked after her.

She started going through her sketches. They were a good start but she wasn't happy with the one of Bryce and Grace. She had drawn them in a classical pose and it just didn't do them justice. She knew she had to draw them as she had seen them in the kitchen.

He fingers flew across the page as the intimate image began to appear in front of her. It was hours later when Caleb came bearing food.

"Oh wonderful." Norah smiled. "I am starving."

Caleb returned her smile as he looked down at the sketch.

"Norah!" He reached for it taking it.

"Is it too personal?" Norah was concerned that she had over stepped her bounds.

Caleb seemed transfixed. "Is this really what you see?"

"That is what is really there. Don't you see it?"

He shook his head looking perplexed.

Norah looked at the sketch again. Grace was sitting on Bryce's lap her head bowed and a secret smile on her lips as he sat behind her with his face buried in her neck and hair his need for her palpable.

She knew she had caught the moment.

"What else do you see?" She felt his eyes on her as he asked her the question.

Not as much as I should, she thought silently before taking the sketch and setting it aside then reached for the food.

"I hope you don't mind my staying here and extra night." She changed the subject.

"No, I don't mind but I'm hoping you're willing to return the favor."

"What do you mean?" Norah felt her heart stop for a moment. She was sure that she was never going to see him again after the weekend.

"I have some work in Austin for the next month or so and I need a place to stay."

Norah swallowed her food and it went down the wrong way. Coughing she reached for the water next to her.

"Is that going to be a problem?"

Norah shook her head. "No."

"If you feel up to it we'll leave in the morning."

She nodded, not saying anything as she silently ate her sandwich, trying to figure out what she was feeling. Maybe it was hope and a little bit of excitement at the prospect of getting to spend a little more time with him.

"Knock, knock?" they heard from downstairs and Caleb gave a sigh. "I tried to hold them off as long as I could but they think I'm lying and that you're avoiding them."

Norah quickly bundled up her sketches and put them in her portfolio so that they were well away from prying eyes before Cassie, Laura, and Dana slowly came up the stairs.

"You don't look ill." Cassie said her eyes narrowing.

"I'm not ill, I just hurt my back. I promise I'm not avoiding anyone."

Cassie eyed her then the medications next to her and smiled. "Good."

The three ladies sat, Cassie at the small desk, Dana at the end of the bed, and Laura on the chair by the window.