Chapter 6

I sat quietly in Danny's car. Silence filled the atmosphere. "Kelly... are you ok? Do you need to talk?" His voice was soft and sincere.

I stayed silence. Why would Jake do this? The images replayed over and over again in my head. The picture of Jake and Avery flashed through my mind. The picture of them undressed in each other's embrace. I know what they did and the thought of it made my stomach sick.

"We're here." His quiet voice interrupted my thoughts. I had not noticed we were already on my driveway. "Are you ok?" The sincerity in his voice reminded me of what an amazing friend I had.

Before I took off my seat belt I felt Danny's hand rest on my arm. His touch was comforting. "I'm fine. Just bummed I missed the dance," I honestly stated answering his previous question.

"I can fix that." A small smile grew on his face.

He turned on his headlights and turned on the radio breaking the still silence. He walked around the car and opened my door.

"Since it's still technically homecoming, Kelly, may I have this dance?" He let out his hand for me take.

I smiled and giggled at his sweet request. "Of course," then it hit me," What about my leg?"

He smiled again. "I can fix that too." He took my hand and helped me stand on my good leg. I felt his hands respectfully make their way to my back and legs. His arms held me at he picked me up bridal style and led me to the front of the car where the headlights were shining.

I placed my arms around his neck and felt my face grow red with his kind and thoughtful gesture. We danced to one of my favorite songs, Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran.

Danny pulled me close to him. His chest was firm. I realized how good Danny was dancing. He used to never dance because he thought he was no good. Obviously now he was very skilled at dancing. I admired how gentle he was with my sore leg.

My head laid on his chest. I could feel the warmth radiating from him. It felt like for forever. Both of us enjoying each other's company.

I began to feel bad for him. He has been carrying me for who knows how long. I was about to ask him if I was too heavy, but I didn't get the chance. I then felt his warm breath against my ear as he spoke softly to me.

"So, there's this thing I've been wanting to tell you but I didn't know how so here goes nothing."

He gently sat me down on the hood of his car.

I had no idea how what he was going to say.

He cleared his threat and continued with his shaky voice. "I remember the day I had to star in the school play. I was so nervous because I didn't want to mess up in front of you. I didn't get sick because all those people laughed at me; it was because i was embarrassed you had to see me like that, but your sympathy for me is what comforted me.  You care for everyone and I want you to know how much I care for you. I always have. I know what you're going to say, but I need to say what's been on mind since the moment I say you.w," his voice trailed," I love you Kelly."

Time began to slow down. I couldn't believe my ears. Before I could respond, I felt warm tears fall from my eyes as he continued with his heart felt speech.

"Kelly, I promise that I'll always be there for you no matter what. I want to be the one to hold when you're sad; I want to be the one to make you smile; I want to be the one who gets to see your beautiful smile everyday; I want to be the one to protect you when you are scared; I want to be yours and I'll do whatever it takes for you to be mine."

I didn't know what to say. It was a lot to swallow. "Danny... You know that I can't be with you," I began to cry,"not after what happened last time." I turned away in shame as I remember what I did.

He grabbed my hand and slowly lifted my chin that had become wet with tears. "It doesn't matter. All that matters is that I trust you. I always have and I always will."

Now I had to make a choice. Say no and hurt us both by trying to spare him of another heartbreak, or say yes and take the chance of hurting my best friend, again...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! I'm sorry this chapter is so short. If you guys want longer or shorter chapters just let me know :)
I promise I'll let you know exactly what happened with Kelly and Danny.

P.S. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!