Chapter 16

I run to the door and open it, confetti sprinkling me as I am greeted by my prep team, Carla and Bella.

I am embraced by hugs, and photos are taken.

Then I hear a large banging sound, and turn to see my brother, Orchid, Taigo and Hickleberry trapped behind bars.

"What? Why can't they come through? Lift the bars!" I scream.

"Zalie, Zalie, I told you, you and your brother wouldn't have to sacrafice yourselves, it was the first two people who came through the gate, in your case, you and Smoke." Carla rubs my back.

"No! No!" I scream, angry tears pouring down my face.

"What's going to happen?" Smoke shouts in Carla's face.

"They will be tributes in next years Hunger Games." Carla smirks at me, almost as if it's my fault. Tears gather in my eyes and I shake my head in reluctance.

"No! NOOOO!" I cry. I start attacking Bella and Carla, until two guards grab me and take me to the hospital wing.

All I see behind me, is my brother, Taigo, Orchid and Hickleberry being handcuffed and lead away by guards.

***

I wake up the next morning feeling dirty, but I am no longer in my lycra suit, but in a fluffy nightgown.

Frozzie is crouched on the other side of the room.

"Morning, sleepyhead." She places a glass of HotBlue on my bedside table.

"What happened?"

"Last night, you got out of control so you were injected with sleeping syrup. You and Smoke are having an interview with Wills today, so you need to get up and fed."

"Ok."

"Well I'll leave you to it. There's food in the room on your left, you can have a shower and everything you need is in here."

She left the room.

Memories of last night thrashed in my mind, but I pushed them away.

I suddenly saw myself in a full length mirror. My hair was wild and my skin was filthy. I shed my nightgown and looked at my body.

It was rid of my lovely curves, now it was all bony and thin. My eyes were sunken so far into my head that I looked like an alien.

I turned away from the mirror, scared of my own image. The only thing I can think of is to attempt to scrub away any reminder of the games, so I climb into the shower feebly. I wash my hair and climb out of the shower, then scrub myself dry with a warm towel, then grab a clean nightgown.

After about one hour of staring up at the ceiling, Frozzie re enters with a dress.

It's pink this time, and puffy, but only just reaches my feet, Frozzie does my makeup; pink lips, pink cheeks, black eyeliner and black mascrara, then sticks a dimond on the corner of my eye.

The dress is so puffy you can barely notice my lack of curves.

Then Smoke enters the room in a pink suit and white shirt. He smiles at me.

"You ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

***

"Hello, hello! Fine winners!" Wills beckons us onto the stage. The crowd screams.

"How are we?"

"Victorious." Smoke replies and squeezes my hand.

"Ohh, do I see a bit of..."

"Yes you do." Smoke replies, "I like this girl. A lot."

I smile feebly.

"Zalie," Wills pauses, using my nickname now, "Do you feel the same way?"

I search my thoughts. Do I? I guess so. But who even knows what's real in this sick, twisted world? I see Carla in the wings who is gesturing for me to nod my head. I look back to Wills and give him my fakest smile.

"Yes."

The interview continues for ages, only Smoke replying.

When it finally draws to the end, Smoke grabs me and kisses me.

Then, we head off the stage.

We now have to go live in the Capitol --- new Hunger Games rules, in a massive house, supposedly together.

But this isn't a: then they lived happily ever after books, this is the Hunger Games.

And its only really just begun.