Epilogue

Epilogue

* One Year Later *

I hummed as I walked up the steps. I felt a little mean not telling him that I would be home 3 days earlier than anticipated. I stopped in front of his closed bedroom door and raised my fist. I didn't knock. I pressed my ear against the door and heard warfare. I rolled my eyes - typical boy.

I slowly opened the door and faced - all in his glory - Carter. Although, his concentration clearly showed whether or not he thought I was in the state.

"Okay Mom I'll pack my things, let me finish this match," he said absently, not noticing that I wasn't his mom. I smiled, he sounded the same. Well, why wouldn't he? It had only been two weeks.

I eyed his room. It, too, was the same apart from the empty boxes and black bags scattered around the room. Noting the killing spree Carter had on screen, I approached him from behind and hugged him before swiftly stealing a kiss on his neck.

This caused an immediate reaction. Carter died (in the game), the controller fell to the ground and the wheelie chair swung around so fast I was tangled with him.

"Ow," I complained and took a step, or attempted to step back. He grabbed me and sat me on his lap.

"Bree, what are you doing here?" He asked in both confusion and happiness.

"Well its nice to see you too. You know, all those text messages and phone calls actually made me think you missed me," I teased lightheartedly. He smiled - oh how I missed that smile - but then he frowned.

Huh?

"You're blonde?" He asked. He weaved his fingers through my hair and looked at it in awe.

"Oops. Maybe I forgot to dye it last week?"

"Oh," he replied, still gazing at it. I frowned and furrowed my eyebrows.

"You don't like blonde?" I asked softly.

He shook his head. "No, I love it. I just didn't expect it - I wasn't expecting you. Weren't you supposed to come on Friday?"

"That's what I thought turns out that I clearly don't know the calendar," I answered.

"Well I'm glad you're back." He beamed.

"Let me guess, you couldn't live without me. Every minute lasted for an hour and everyday was about forever?"

"Got it in one," he answered playfully but in all seriousness also.

I smiled. "I missed you too." I wrapped myself around him and just pondered how the poor little wheelie chair could support our weight.

We lapsed into silence. I moved my chin so it could rest on his shoulder. I closed my eyes and savoured Carter's warmth - how the hell would I last in Uni?

"Did you enjoy yourself?" He asked after a while.

"Hmmm?"

"In Chicago?" He elaborated softly.

"Yeah it was good to see everyone. Especially since I never got to go last year," I whispered. I turned my head so I faced his hair.

"So, how's, uh... your Dad?" He asked awkwardly.

I smiled against Carter's neck. "Ready to load his shotgun, well until Mom talked to him. He doesn't want to see you in my room again."

"We weren't even doing anything," he whined.

"That's what I said, but he's a Dad so yeah, you know."

"At least we have two weeks in Hawaii together," her reminded. I bit my lip in remembrance of our previous trip.