Chapter 5

© Sandra Corton 2013

Chapter 5

She stood inside her new room with the mauve walls and wasn't quite sure what to think. Boxes surrounded her but she couldn't bring herself to unpack them yet. Quiet, intense quiet threatened to engulf her. 

Whenever she had been here before working, the silence had never bothered her. She had played her iPod and cleaned the house to the beat of the music. Perhaps that was what she needed now.

She dug her iPod out of her handbag and found her small speakers with them. Careful not to disturb Aiden, though she knew the man could hear from quite a distance away, she turned the volume on low and listened to her music. 

She was able to smile then, to see past the huge, lonely house she was now living in. To see beyond the silence of no younger sisters buzzing around her all the time. This was now her life. 

She danced to the beat of the music as she unpacked boxes. She stored her clothes in the huge ancient looking dresser, her photos on top of it along with her nick knacks.  It was as she returned from the bathroom, storing her toiletries that she felt his presence. 

He stood in the bedroom doorway, his face seeming brooding and serious. She stopped moving, which was something he always made her do, which was quite frustrating. His mere presence was enough to turn her into a gawping idiot. 

"I'm sorry was my music too loud?" She asked him but he merely stood there like a statue. 

"No as always it was your smell Honey. No wonder we are all drawn to someone who smells as sweet as you." 

He was across the room to her in a heartbeat while she tried to understand his words. He had his dangerous face on, the one that she should be more fearful of. Truthfully she was beginning to find that more enticing than anything else. 

He stroked his cool hand down from her chin to her throat where he always seemed to be drawn. One of his fingers drew the tiniest of circles across her tender flesh and a moan escaped her. He drew in a breath long and ragged before he was gone from the room, quicker than she could blink. 

She felt the loss of his presence as she had the previous night. Every time he got that close to her, she was intoxicated. She knew she would do anything he asked her to do. She should be terrified of that loss of control but instead it was starting to thrill her. 

She placed her fingers against her skin where his cool flesh felt like it branded her. She stared dreamily into space for the longest time. He was consuming her thoughts and feelings. She let out a sigh before going back to her unpacking. 

He heard that sigh from deep in the thick brush where he had run to. The temptation of her throat had almost been too much. His own burned fiercely at the fact he had denied himself. How was he going to endure this every hour of every day? He took off at a fierce run feeling his hunger threaten to overwhelm him. 

He ran clear all the way back into town. Wafts of delicious food from cafes and restaurants that would normally appease him, now made him snarl. It had to be blood; the only thing to ever ease the burning of his throat when she was around was blood. Even though it was never enough. He was a fool to believe he could take her in and protect her. She needed protection from him more than anything. 

He saw the woman from across the bar and knew he had found his target. She smelled nice but nothing like the overpowering sweetness of Honey. She smiled seductively at him to which he forced himself to smile back. He knew he would have to be careful if he didn't want to kill her. Hunger for Honey raged through him, threatening to overtake anything else. The woman flashed him her hotel key and he was grateful she wasn't local.