Chapter 5: Misunderstandings

Weeks later

THIRD PERSON:

Harry, Ron and Hermione were sitting in Hermione's favourite part of the library. Hermione had just revealed her suspicions about Rita Skeeter being an unregistered animagus.

"I will go get the book I was looking at." she said, standing abruptly and walking towards a shelf near the front of the library.

"Okay, here's your chance, mate," Harry told Ron. As of the previous day, Harry was Ron's, as he called it, 'wingman'. Ron had come to him wondering how to tell Hermione how he feels about her. Harry obviously thought the sooner the better.

"I don't know. Maybe I'm rushing it."

"You can't just keep putting it off. You already chickened out last night in the common room. She will be going home soon and you won't get another chance. Come on, Ron. You can- Hi Hermione!"

"I found it," Hermione said, passing the huge book to Ron. "What were you two talking about?"

"Ron'll tell you." Harry said, grinning at Ron. "I think I know of a book too," and at that, he turned on his heel and browsed a shelf nearby, trying to hear what his friends were saying.

"What was that all about?" Hermione asked Ron, who sat directly in front of her.

"Nothing important." He glanced at the cover of the book, "Looks like a good book."

"Yes." Ron just sat the book on the table next to him.

"Is something wrong?"

"No. There's just something I wanted to ask you."

Hermione didn't reply. She was preoccupied with her thoughts about Rita Skeeter and how to get proof. Ron realised this and dropped the subject. For a few minutes he just sat and watched her rummage through the notes she'd made on spare parchment.

Suddenly, Ron was shocked to see Hermione reached over and...