Chapter 4: Confessions

THIRD PERSON:

The music was loud. The students were louder. There was a Gryffindor party in the common room and everyone was there. Though Hermione was still very annoyed with Fred and Ron, she decided that she wouldn't let them spoil her fun. She searched the crowd and saw "George" immediately. From a distance, no one would have been able to tell that it was actually Fred who spotted her through the mass of Gryffindors and pushed through them to meet her by the punch bowl.

"Hey, 'Mione!" Fred said, purposely using the nickname she only allowed George to use on her.

"Hey, George." Hermione replied. Fred almost jumped for joy with the realisation that George's plan was now underway and seemingly working splendidly. She asked him, "How are enjoying the party?"

"It's great! There are only two things better than a good party: a good prank and a Quidditch match. We always get lots of attention at Quidditch, Fred and I..."

"Yeah..." She turned away her face so as to not show her cheeks turning a bright shade of red. She was so angry at him. He made her break it off with Victor and everything. And now she just felt sick thinking about him.

"I need to talk to you....privately." Fred said abruptly, without waiting for a reply. He then grabbed her hand and dragged her out of the common room and into a nearby corridor, concealing them from any late night wanderers.

Once he was sure he had her where she couldn't run away and hide, Fred felt it was ready to reveal himself as the very twin she hated. "Hermione, I'm not George. It's Fred."

"I know."

"What?"

"You were a great actor, don't get me wrong. But I can tell the difference between you and George. You two underestimate me too much."

"You can tell the difference between us?" Hermione nodded. "Merlin! Mum can't even tell us apart half the time. How can you tell?"

Hermione looked embarrassed. "I don't know. Just little things. Like freckle patterns, the way you stand, that scar you have on your leg from when you were running away from Filch and tripped over, the way you act around me...." Her voice trailed off and their eyes met.

"Yeah, I guess it's easy for someone as observant as you." Hermione simply gave a half smile in reply. Fred stared at her intently, realising just how beautiful she was. Yeah she was smart, but she was so much more. She was beautiful, smart, funny (when she wanted to be), and incredibly kind. Fred was wondering how any guy could get much better.

Fred was snapped out of his trance by Hermione's quiet voice. "Fred?"

"Sorry. I was just...thinking." He suddenly remembered why they were there in the corridor, standing oh so close... "Hermione, I- I just wanted to tell you something. I really like you and I have for a while now and I was just wondering if maybe you might want to, you know, go out for a butterbeer or something?" Hermione just smiled and nodded coyly when they were interrupted by George barging in, obviously searching for them.

George smiled, seeing the way they looked at each other. If he had to share his twin with anyone, he was glad it was Hermione. But then, he noticed the way they looked at him. "Sorry to intrude. Go back to your snogging. Don't let me keep you." He grinned and winked at Fred.

"We weren't snogging!" Hermione corrected him. She hated people assuming things like that.

"Of course you weren't." George said, humouring her. "Where is he taking you?"

"For your information, we were discussing the matter when we were rudely interrupted." She folded her arms and looked at him with raised eyebrows.

"Who would do such a thing?" He said, snickering.

"No idea." The youngest of the three replied.

Trying to change the subject, Fred piped in with, "We were thinking The Three Broomsticks. Tomorrow is a Hogsmeade trip."

"Sounds delightful!" George turned on his heel before stopping. He said, without turning back, "Don't get too cozy." And at that, he made his way out of the corridor, chuckling slightly to himself.

Fred turned to Hermione. "Meet me in the common room 20 minutes after breakfast."

"It's a date!"

Fred left, quite pleased with himself. Once he was out of sight, Hermione slumped against a wall and began dreaming about her date with Fred Weasley.