Twenty

“What the hell happened, Wesley?” Edward sat behind his desk with elbows resting atop a scattered pile of legal documents and other notes that had recently swarmed his office.

    Wesley had a somber look on his face, but his answer was confident. “Nothing!”

    The principal sighed. “I’m going to need an official statement from you right now if you don’t mind. Mrs. Haversmit is building up a storm with the school board and the whole thing’s just getting a bit out of hand.” He took off his glasses and looked up from the papers. “They’re calling in some proper authorities to investigate the whole thing.”

    “Investigate? What’s there to investigate?” Wesley couldn’t understand how such a simple misunderstanding could build up such a storm. “Nothing happened!”

    “I’m sorry, Wesley. That’s just the process for serious accusations like this.” He returned to shuffling through the papers. “And given the recent revelation of your lifestyle, it’s a pressing matter. It’s out of my hands.”

    “Wait, what do you mean ‘lifestyle’?” Wesley leaned forward and placed a firm hand on the desk in front of him.

    Edward looked back up and gave him a look that revealed nothing at all. “The fact that you’re gay, Wesley. The rumors are all over school, and quite frankly if you’re trying to hide it, you’re doing a horrible job.”

    Wesley’s mouth stood open in disbelief. “I’m not gay!”

    Edward sighed and leaned back in his large chair. He spoke in a kind but stern manner. “Wesley, your personal life choices are really none of my business, so let’s just talk about this statement I need from you.”

    Wesley reiterated, “But I’m not gay, and it affects how I’m seen in this investigation!”

    Edward sighed again. “Son, I’m not one to judge, but if it makes you feel any better, this report won’t include anything of the sort. It’s just a simple account of your side of the events. Avery’s mother has been adamant in declaring some sort of abuse, so we really need to address this as soon as possible.”

    Wesley was out of ways to try and convince the man of his heterosexuality, so he muttered under his breath, “Mrs. Haversmit is a liar…”

    Edward had caught a part of the comment and only raised an eyebrow as a warning to be civil. “Now tell me what happened from the beginning, and don’t leave anything out. I’d rather not have to do this more than once.”

    Wesley huffed in agreement. He was furious that he had been subjected to such ridiculous claims by an overprotective mother who knew nothing of her child’s life at school. Shaking the thoughts from his mind, he began in a collected note. “I don’t know, it was maybe around eight something - the part of the play where all the guys find out they’ve been seeing the girls behind each other’s backs.”

    Edward nodded and jotted down a few notes as Wesley spoke.

    “I had to use the restroom, so I tried the one in the theater but there was a line that stretched outside the door, and I didn’t feel like waiting, so I crossed over to the one right outside the gym and did my business.” He closed his eyes trying to remember exactly that night had gone. “When I came out, I heard some noise coming from inside the gymnasium, so I went to take a look.”

    “Mhmm. Mhmm.” Edward continued to transcribe everything he was saying.

    Wesley had expected some questions to prompt him, but when none came he continued. “I found Avery there throwing a basketball around, so I walked in and the door shut behind me. I didn’t realize it would lock me in until he turned and shouted for me to hold it open.” Wesley shrugged to indicate his mistake. “It was too late though.”