Two

Cassidy Latton heard her front door slam shut and winced because her roommates would still be sleeping. Tiptoeing through the living room, she snuck into her room only to find Hayley Patel sitting on her bed – waiting. Cassidy sighed and leaned against her bedroom door’s frame.

    “What am I in trouble for this time?”

    Her friend just smiled at her, so Cassidy rolled her eyes and pushed off the wall with her shoulder. “Are you going to tell me why you’re waiting in my room at four in the morning like a stalker-rapist or do I have to call the cops?”

    Hayley laughed and finally caved. “You’re such a drama queen, you know that?”

    Cassidy shrugged and walked over to her dresser. “I try.” She turned her head from picking out pajamas and fixed her eyes on her scheming roommate. “Now stop avoiding my question and tell me why you’re grinning like a Cheshire cat.”

    Hayley sighed. “You’re no fun.” She plopped back and lay flat on the bed as she explained. “You’re working a half-night tomorrow, right?” Seeing the look on Cassidy’s face, she quickly added, “It’s part of my explanation, I swear!”

    Cassidy shot her a look but nodded her head, confirming that she was on half-duty.

    “Okay well good, you can’t escape it. You’re going to actually dress up for work and I’m bringing guys, and after you’re done with your shift, we’re all hanging out and having a good time.” When Cassidy tried to protest, Hayley cut her off. “No, you're staying in that bar even if I have to have Dave lock you in!”

    Cassidy pursed her lips. “That’s cheating, bringing our bouncer into your evil plans.” Hayley grinned wickedly and Cassidy rolled her eyes in defeat. “Okay fine, you win. But!” She held up a finger as her friend clapped and wiggled with joy from the bed. “There is one condition! If I’m not comfortable after an hour, I’m free to leave.”

    “Three hours.”

    “One hour.”

    “Two and a half!”

    “One!”

    “Two and if you keep talking, I’m not listening and giving Dave strict instructions to keep you there ‘til I say so!”

    Cassidy threw her hands up in the air. “Fine! Two, whatever. The only reason you win is because it is an ungodly hour in the morning and I’m tired and sore from working with middle aged drunks on a Friday night and I want to go to sleep forever.” By this time she had changed and was fighting to keep her eyes open. She waved her hands at Hayley. “Move or I’ll sleep on you.”

    Hayley jumped off the bed obligingly and gave Cassidy a quick squeeze. “You’re going to have fun Cas! When was the last time you did that?”

    “Yeah, yeah, yeah. You fight dirty.” Cassidy slipped in between her covers and glared weakly at her friend once again. “Don’t you dare try to wake me up before two today. I almost hired a hitman after the last time you and Ali decided you were gonna’ throw your elephant selves around the loft dancing.”

    Hayley’s face filled with mock outrage. “Us?! Elephants?! I’ll have you know everything was going very gracefully before she fell onto the coffee table.” Cassidy lifted her eyebrow as if to say ‘my point exactly’. Hayley pouted in response. “Either way, it’s technically your fault since you promised to teach us your new dance moves.”

    Cassidy crossed her eyes at her friend in annoyance and then closed them as she slid further down into her comforter. “That’s beside the point. Just don’t let her break anymore glass. I’ll see you at two.” Hayley stuck her tongue out at her closest friend, but she had already fallen asleep.