Eavesdroppers - Zakariya Malik ♥

^ He gets a heart too cuz he's just so damn cute! For those of you who love sweet, religious, Muslim bad boys...here ya go!

** DISCLAIMER: If you're going to faint or die from admiration, please comment and vote first. I will not be paying any hospital bills, either. -_-

Eavesdroppers

Zakariya Malik

Age eleven, 6 years from present-day

          Adam was coming over today to play videogames, and I had yet to tell Maysa. I feel nervous; Maysa and Adam’s little sister Noha don’t really like each other. I finish setting up the Playstation and just as I am about to go back to my room, I hear the doorbell ring.

          I see Adam standing next to Noha and he and I exchange nervous glances. Adam told Noha that Maysa wasn’t going to be home and that they were only going to be at my house for a couple of minutes.

          Yesterday, I told Maysa that Adam was coming over today, but he wouldn’t be over long.

          Our parents will be upset if Maysa and Noha tell them that we lied to each of them, but their dislike for each other is getting annoying. I don’t even know how or why it started, but somehow, the first time they met, they ended the night as enemies.

          Adam has been my best friend for two years, since the fourth grade, but somehow our sisters are the opposite. Today is the day we carry out a crazy plan to get our sisters to at least get along with each other for short periods of time.

          I let Adam and Noha in, smiling tentatively at her. She has a defensive look on her face, and I know she’s hoping that she won’t run into Maysa. Before Adam and I can do anything, Maysa bounces down the stairs, phone in hand. “It’s Grandma!” She declares, stopping short at the sight of Noha.

          My sister’s face is one of shock. Noha is looking back at her with an unreadable expression on her face. “Wow! What a coincidence!” I declare in a loud, unconvincing voice. Both of them stare at me with narrowed eyes. I gulp and look at Adam for help.

          “So…uh…wouldn’t you guys like to get to know each other?” Adam asks uncertainly.

          “We already know each other, Adam.” Noha says curtly. “Just do whatever you have to do and then let’s leave.”

          God, now we have to break the news to them. “Actually, Noha, is it possible for Adam to stay for at least one hour?” I ask hopefully. Her expression tells me that she is not going to comply.

          “No. I don’t want to be here with her.” Noha says stubbornly, jutting her chin in Maysa’s direction. Maysa looks appalled, and then turns swiftly on her heel and storms off into the kitchen. I shoot an apologetic look at Adam and Noha and chase after her.

          Maysa is standing in the kitchen cutting an orange into half with a knife. She slices the orange with a loud chop. I hold up my hands. “Whoa, Mays, would you calm down?”

          She glares. “Thanks a lot, Zakariya. Now I’m stuck here with her for an hour. Can’t you tell that she doesn’t like me?”

          “Please, Mays.” I plead. “It’s been two years since you guys met. Why can’t you give each other a chance? Noha’s a cool person. You’re just not trying hard enough to get to know her.” One look tells me I have gone down the wrong path.

          I backtrack quickly. “I…I mean. Look, I’ll do anything.”

          “No.”