Education

Larkin couldn't help but turn her head to feel how light her short hair was, it was the one part of the new look that she enjoyed.  "Are you paying attention?"  The stranger asked cruelly.

"Yes," Larkin lied, not sure what she had been talking about.

"You're going to need to know everything you can about the Cian life and about your life." The stranger was clearly growing more and more angry at her.

"Coraleigh's life." Larkin said with a smirk, very aware of what she was doing.

"You are Coraleigh." The stranger said.

"No I look like Coraleigh."  Larkin was enjoying the idea that she could argue with whomever she wanted because she was too valuable to the plan to kill and she planned to take full advantage of it.

"Which of your friends is this?"  The woman said holding up a photo of the girl that Briar had gone on and on about.

"I don't remember," she complained in a whiney voice.

"This one?" this time she held up a photo that looked just like a modified version of Briar.

"Give me a break!"  Larkin stood up. 

"We have been at this for days Coraleigh and you haven't learned a thing."  The stranger said.

"Yes I have.  I know that Cian's don't have jobs and they go to parties and change their appearance and steal our... I mean plebs appearances.  I know about the Cian life I just don't care about her stupid friends, I have my own friends."  Larkin said not sure why she objected so strongly to that part of Cora's life but she did.

"These are your friends now... Your old friends will be gone."  The stranger tried to hide the true meaning of her words but  Larkin clearly understood what the words meant.

Larkin sighed, "Briar's Cian is named Harlow.  The other girl is Oakley.  Those are her... I mean my friends."

"Are you always this stubborn," Archer said with a sadness that had now become familiar to his eyes.

"Are you always such an eavesdropper?"  Larkin replied with a smirk.

"You have it handled from here?" The stranger asked.

"Yes ma'am," and without another word the stranger walked out, never one for conversation.

"What are you supposed to be teaching me," Larkin said standing up and then sitting down on the desk more comfortably.

"I know... knew Cora better than she did so I am supposed to teach you how to be her but with that attitude it seems that you are already halfway there."  He laughed but his laughs never reached his eyes.

"Why did you know her so well?"  Lark asked.

"I'm her attendant it was my job to protect her and prepare her for the sustainment."  He said casually.  "Stand up straighter," he added.

Larkin perked up and began to focus on not slouching which was rather difficult for her.  "Didn't that mean you just met a few months ago?"  She asked trying to match his casual tone and hide her curiosity.

"Stop looking at the ground," Archer responded tilting her chin up and making it obvious that the previous conversation had ended and the lesson had begun.

Larkin tried to do as she was told but she was still wondering about his mysterious relationship with Coraleigh.  Throughout the rest of the day he told her to act confident, speak louder, stop slouching, roll her eyes more, don't laugh just scoff, stop slouching, walk faster, and stop slouching.  "One minute you seem just like her and the next you look like I kicked your puppy," Archer said.