Chapter Twenty Two

Top Commenters:
JoCharlyta (Thanks for helping me use WhatsApp so I could help you with your story :p)
lucifuhr
TiggerStigers

Word Count: 1730

~Mara

When I woke the next day, I felt terrible. All I wanted to do, was curl back up and sleep for another few hours. But I knew I shouldn't.

Instead, I force my wary eyes open, only to see someone sitting at the edge of my bed, a pleased smile upon their face.

"What are you doing out of bed?" I question, staring at my mate with a displeased expression on my face.

I shouldn't be surprised. Instead of resting in his bed, healing like he's supposed to, Kaden is here, upon my bed. The look on his face suggests he couldn't care less about being in a hospital bed right now.

"You've slept 13 hours straight...I thought I better come check on you myself," he comments. My eyes widen...13 hours?

He's dressed in a puffy blue robe, which almost makes me giggle. Never in my life would I ever have expected to see him dressed like this. He seems to notice my gaze on him.

"They are making me wear it," he grumbles, his face screwing up. He does look rather comical.

A silence settles over us, as we just watch each other. His eyes no longer seem cold and distant, but familiar. I feel him grab my hand within his, and shuffle closer across the bed.

"I just wanted to tell you that I understand why you stabbed me. I kinda deserved it," he says softly.

"Yeah, you did. Especially for keeping the fact that we are mates from me," I say truthfully. I'm not sure why I brought it up, but I suppose I deserve to know how long he's known. And why he kept the biggest part of my life from me.

He sighs deeply. "I should probably start from the beginning, shouldn't I?"

I nod slowly in response.

He crawls over the bed wordlessly, before laying beside me, his back against the headboard like mine. I turn on my side so I can watch him as he talk.

"Four years ago, I boarded a train within the Purity Pack, back when my father ruled and I loved the Purity Pack..."

I don't remember him ever loving my Pack.

"I sat next to this beautiful young girl, with the palest of hair, and the bluest of eyes. And we touched, but she was asleep, and didn't notice the sparks," he says softly.

"How could you know what my eye colour was if I was sleeping?"

"Maybe you slept with your eyes open."

"I doubt that-"

He sighed irritably. "Would you listen?"

"Sorry, continue."

He collects himself, running a hand down his blue, abominable outfit.