Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Matt wanted to take away her pain. She was back in the hospital for fainting. This time, it was confirmed that she had leukaemia. The same cancer that took away Hope’s life and drove their father to depression and finally death. Faith, his girlfriend, the love of his life was now suffering. Her pale skin was a stark contrast to her blue hospital coat. It made her look even whiter, something he had never though possible.

“Matt?” Faith’s eyes opened.

“Faith, I’m here,” he grasped her thin hands into his.

“Is it dark? I can’t see you.”

Matt’s blood ran cold. The cancer had spread faster than they had thought initially. He didn’t answer immediately, there was no other answer.

“Matt?” her grip tightened on his; surprisingly strong for once.

Matt shook himself out of his reverie, he had to answer her, “Faith, I’m here.”

Her next sentence broke his heart into a thousand pieces, “I’m blind.”

A lump in his throat choked him, she sounded so emotionless. Life had gone out of her. “Faith,” he failed to form words that would help, her hand was cold. Gripping her hand tightly, Matt leaned forward, “Faith, please, talk to me.”

“Leave. Please leave,” was all she said and took her hand out of his grasp and turned her back to him. His heart clenched but he obeyed her wishes and left the ward, his face twisted in pain. Nara saw his look and led him away.

“She is blind,” Matt managed to say.

“It has taken a turn for the worst then, I’m so sorry, Matt,” Nara tried to comfort him awkwardly. They didn’t speak after that for Matt was crying inconsolably. After Matt went home, Nara entered Faith’s ward. “Faith?”

“Nara?” her voice sounded nasal.

Nara took her friend’s hands into hers, “I’m here. Matt has gone home.”

At the mention of his name, Faith felt the hot tears again but she sniffed, unwilling to cry. She had been crying enough for a long time. “You should be home too, Nara.”

“I want to be here. So does Matt. Please, let him be with you.”

“No. I can’t. I’m a burden to him. Nara, I have always believed in angels,” her last sentence caught Nara off guard. It sounded too random.

“Angels?”

“Yes, those guardian angels. I always thought that they would protect us from any harm. Now, I know they don’t exist. Look at what happened to Hope and my father,” sounding bitter.

“Faith, please,” but Nara was cut off.

“No angels, Nara, there are no angels!” Faith was crying hard. Nara ended up stroking her friend’s head and cooing nonsense to her ear just to soothe her.

“I’ll be your angel,” a new voice sounded. Matt was still in the hospital.

“Matt,” Nara began but he put up his palm.

“I will be your angel. Just let me be by your side, Faith. Have faith in me,” he took his girlfriend’s hand into his.

“They don’t exist, Matt,” was all Faith said.