Chapter 1- Royally Fluxed

Heads up!

The pictures there are Sam and Rob. 

 Tell me what you think of them?

***

Chapter One

I kept fidgeting with my gown; it was becoming a bit annoying. We were on stage for almost half an hour now. When would they announce the top five finalists? You see, this is the part I hate the most in beauty contests: the announcing of those who made it through; which only makes one more thing obvious: who the losers were. 

Apparently, I fell under the latter category. Of course! It should not be a surprise to me by now.  After placing tenth or ninth consecutively for five times in years, this was not expected to take me by surprise. But the problem was, it never fails to shock me. Losing never falters to make me feel short. I have never felt so insignificant… so unwanted.

Before I could go on with this nonsense drama of mine, I probably should introduce myself first, or at least let you know things about me… Well, important stuff, I guess. I won’t be spitting out unnecessary facts, so don’t worry. I wouldn’t even include when I had my first per- agh! I just said I would not, didn’t I? Sorry about that. I get easily distracted.

So allow me to give you a quick run through of my life. I am your ordinary nineteen year-old girl. I’ve been through puberty the same as the next girl.  I have medium length chocolate brown hair that is either curly or straight. Most days, I get bad hair… who doesn’t? I am tall, nearly five and a half feet; I have eyes that are nearly non-existent and my lips are so thin, I keep wondering how the man of my dreams (if he ever comes along) will ever love the way I am.  Well, I guess my nose is just fine. But the skinny bod and the ugl- not so really pretty face, well I don’t think anyone will ever love me. Sorry guys. I really am pessimistic.

Here I am on stage, trying real hard not to faint or cause a scene. (A girl could take too much humiliation for a lifetime!) They have announced the top ten finalists, and because I have been counting on this all along, I was included. Now we are waiting for the decision of the judges for the finalists…  The final four. And it’s making me edgy. The air feels stuffy and it’s getting hard to breathe. Don’t get me wrong, the atmosphere is great. In fact, there are cloying scents of various types of flowers, but the scent of roses dominated the rest.

I for one am a huge fan of flowers, particularly roses, but now that the whiff of my favourite flower is mixing with my anxiety, I can’t seem to appreciate them. It feels like my world has stopped and that everything I loved means no sense anymore.

“Please step forward as soon as you hear your name, contestants. This is the round we have all been waiting for - the final round!

If you hear your name, you may as well consider yourself a winner, since everyone in the top four will receive a crown and a title!”

Gritting my teeth, I crossed my fingers behind my back. Oh please oh please oh please. Let me win this time Even if it is just the fourth place. At least make me in the top four. I couldn’t help but chant in my mind. I would be so busted if I get out of this as a loser again. Mom would definitely kill me.

“Vanessa Lane… Christine Angeles… Roberta Griggory… and last but not the least, MONA HEATHER!”

The names flew out of the emcee’s mouth like some bunch of insignificant babble. I didn’t care anymore. My name was not mentioned. Unless my name changed in the last five minutes, I doubt that I could ever win at anything anymore. I snapped back to reality when I felt a hand shaking mine.