seize

She sat in the forest behind Sam's house silently berating herself. She was not meant to be seeing him, she made a her decision in siding with the Quileute pack. Her heart pounded furiously as she tried to remind herself of her unspoken promise. 

The pack had no idea that she found her soulmate. The Elders knew, they had told her it would be no big deal because she could not chose who or when it happened. She could not find it in herself to believe them. She viewed it as betrayal. 

Aleida knew her loyalties would always lie with the wolves, but Emmett wasn't a question of loyalty. She felt obligated to always protect him, to make him happy. It was instinct, her subconscious tried to make him happy. It made her feel trapped. 

The legends always spoke of how a soulmate was the most important person, but every legend she heard put loyalty before it. If your loyalties lied with your other half then it was no big deal. 

"Penny for your thoughts?" Emily asked. The woman sat next to her, gripping Aleida's hand gently. 

"My mind is a mess. I feel like I can no longer make out right from wrong," Aleida admitted with a heavy heart. 

"Wanna talk about it?"

"Yes, of course, but I am frightened of your reaction." She looked in front of her in the general direction of the treaty line. 

"Aleida, sweetheart, you are family now. I will support you through anything." Emily smoothed the girls hair gently. 

"In my world, the soulmate bond is the most precious thing." Tears welled in the girls eyes. "I have done nothing but forsake it and deny it."

"You found your soulmate?" Emily whispered in excitement. "Who, what, where?"

"That's the problem," she cried. "The pack would not approve. I cannot risk losing them, I can't lose another family."

Emily held the girl as she broke down crying. She knew Aleida had carried the weight on her shoulders for many years. She would never be able to understand the pain she was in.  

"You are family, they could never lose them," Emily spoke softly.

"I would if he was a Cullen."

Emily felt her eyes widen at the name, she held the girl tighter. It changed little in her mind, she still viewed Aleida as a daughter of sorts. Emily would take on the world to protect her. 

"You wan't lose anyone." Emily's voice held determination. "Now, which boy is it? Because I would like to have a talk with him." 

Aleida giggled softly. "You can't talk  to him if even I don't talk to him." 

"Why don't you talk to him?"

"Because I chose the pack. I have to chose the pack."

Emily remained silent for a moment. "I understand that you are loyal to the tribe, but why aren't you loyal to yourself. Chose yourself, just this once. You can still chose us by choosing yourself, because we are your family. Choose yourself, sweetheart." 

Aleida froze. She could feel every nerve within her fighting over the words. Those word basically went against everything she was thought as a child, but they made more sense than anything she has ever heard.

"But-"

"Are women not strong? Can they not make their own path and decisions? You have been both iron and blood. You have been fire," Emily cuts her off. "Now be woman. Follow your heart and be selfish."

"I can do that?" Her voice was small and timid. Innocent.

"You can do anything you want, I will always stand behind you."

Aleida jumped to her feet and looked down at herself. She was a mess. She was dirty and in one of the boys oversize shirts, but it would do. She went to leave before turning back to Emily, throwing herself st her in a hug. 

"You will be an amazing mother one day," Aleida whispered to the woman.

Letting go, she ran through the trees to the border.

·····

Emmett felt off, he knew it had to do with Aleida. He wasn't sure i it was a good thing or not, but something was different, something changed. 

Alice fluttered around humming to herself lightly, a small smile on her face. She continued to glance toward Emmett.

"What?" he asked in annoyance. "What did you see?"

Alice beamed at him brightly. "I just get the sense that I get to go shopping very soon," she told him giddily.

"Get the sense, or saw?" 

"No more clothes Alice!" Jasper scolded from somewhere in the house.

The girl frowned. "They're not for me though."

The family looked at her strangely, all except Edward, whom was attempting to hide a smirk. "Who are they for?" Esme asked brightly, loving the idea of providing for someone else.

"It's a surprise." Her eyes twinkled. "I'm not allowed to meddle anyways."

Emmett frowned at her response. Meddle with who? he thought. 

The sound of a rapid heartbeat met his ears. Most people in the room tensed. 

Edward stood calmly from his spot next to Bella and pulled her up with him. They both made their way out the house. 

 A few minutes passed where the Cullen's waited. 

"What are you doing here?" Bella asked in a panic. "What's wrong?" 

A beat passed before a soft voice answered. "I am choosing myself." 

Emmet was out of the house in an instant, but stopped when he reached the trees. He wasn't sure if he should run to or away from her. 

"Don't move Emmett," Edward spoke clearly. Emmett cussed.

He stood still in his spot. Glancing behind him, he was able to catch the the thumbs up that Alice shot him.

"Emmett," her voice was timid, hesitant.

He refused to face her. "If you're going to run again, then don't even bother," his voice was low.

She was quiet for a moment. "I'll only run if you promise to catch me. I might not be fast, but I can hide fairly well."  

Emmett felt his lips twitch at her attempt at a joke. "You won't run?"

"No, Ii would not come all the way here to run from you."

When he finally turned to look at her, he smiled at how disheveled she looked. He wouldn't have her any other way. He closed the space between them slowly, giving her time to change her mind. 

She met him halfway. There chest were an inch apart- he peered down, while she peered up. 

"Why are you here?" he whispered gently.

"I have recently been told that it is alright to chose myself, that my loyalties do not always have to lie with others and that I can be loyal to myself." 

"Which means?" If his heart could beat, it would be pounding in his ears. 

"Why else would I be here?" she rolled her eyes at him. "I would like to apologize to you. I have not treated you with the respect you deserve." 

"Who cares about respect?" He teased, his dimples appearing on his face. 

"I care very much," she grumbled. 

Aleida slowly raised her hand and gently caressed his cheek before pulling him into a hug. Holding him made sense. It felt like everything was aligning, that she could once again breathe. She thought they fit together. He was strong physically, while she was strong mentally. She felt like together they could take own the world. 

She thanked the gods of old and new for carving this beautiful specimen just for her. 

·····

|Vote|Comment|Follow|

Unedited