Chapter Seven

Loch stepped into the light, a small troupe of guards materializing behind him. He beckoned one closer while the others rushed me, holding me back against the tree with little effort.

Loch patted the young soldiers back encouragingly, tossing me a victorious glare that spoke of one thing: payback.  “She’s yours, Luka. Do with her what you like. The first human is always the best, so enjoy it. But don’t drain her all the way. You leave that to me,” he muttered lowly as if talking to himself.

My heart beat wildly against my broken ribs seeing Luka obey and begin his approach. The rest of the guards whistled and cheered him on with hollow claps that echoed in the black, each one like a punch in the stomach. It appeared I was going to be Luka’s first human. For what, I didn’t want to think about it.

Luka’s black eyes pinned me with a lustful glare. Though I was fully clothed, the look in his eyes already violated me.  He handed his shield and sword off blindly to guards at either side of me. They released me to accept, and I tumbled to the ground, unable to stay up on my own. Panting and broken, I struggled to push up, coming to an unsteady stand, when instantly Luka slammed me against the tree, this time the back of my head crunching in my ears. My lungs contracted and I coughed, winded. Blood splattered onto Luka’s silvery breast plate, the warmth trickling down my chin.

Luka’s midnight eyes turned down, and a smirk spread on his lips. He wound his fingers tighter around my neck and pushed me further against the tree, his hot and wanton breath fogging my neck.

“You are broken,” he purred, the tips of his fangs inching from his mouth. A low growl rumbled in his chest as he slid an icy hand up my thigh.  I sucked in a gasp, wanting to claw at his face, or rip out the sparkling mane of black hair. All I could do was shiver … shiver as he dug icy nails into my skin while his hand fell away from my neck. Trailing a single finger down the front of my dress, he burned it open slowly.

The forest spun around me as my mind reeled from all that was happening. Elena was gone, and reaching into my mind, Kheelan was closed to me. My reserve of powers was obliterated, and my human energies depleted. For the first time in a long time, I felt absolutely hopeless.  But I wasn’t.

It was as desperate as it was dumb, but I closed my eyes, and focused on this black pit that barely pulsed. I called to Maris as Luka nipped at my skin hungrily, exploring my flesh. I reminded her that we were in this together, and if I died so would she.  More painfully, I reminded her that if we died, we would never see Ivan or Kheelan again.

A loud tear resounded as Luka ripped my skirt open. Howls and cat calls boomed through the forest, and they all turned to each other, smug smirks on their faces.  It was then that a roaring wave of acid rose through my veins. My skin grew hot as the adrenaline and power numbed all pain and fear.

 In that moment, I weaved my hand in Luka’s hair and yanked his head back.

“Scared?” He smirked tauntingly, blood tipped fangs glistening. My feigned look of terror withered to a derisive smile. Slow awareness dawned in his eyes as a golden hue lit the forest around us: mine. His arrogance waned to stark fear and he snapped a fire ball into his hands. It was too late. His body was already twisted in the vines I'd called to action. Under the cover of night, they’d slowly wrapped around his legs while he was too focused on violating me.

I opened my palms, and he roared writhing in pain as hundreds of thorns stabbed out from the vines, and into his skin with little mercy. Clenching my fingers, I dug then deeper,  squeezing tighter and tighter until my nails drew blood from my palms and I could squeeze no more.  Sparking a fire orb into my free hand, I silenced his screams, heaving it down his throat.