Chapter Fifteen

This is a quick recap of Book 2 since it’s been a while. Right after the recap is the last chapter.

Book 2 starts with Ivan being held prisoner at a Seelie temple in Tarshish. Though Seelie, the temple leader, Kala’el, has teamed up with Xanthus. Kala’el has called for a meeting between Xanthus and Queen Alistrina, to discuss peace between the kingdoms. This is all a plot to kill Alistrina so that Kala’el can take over and become the Seelie king. In exchange for Xanthus’s help in killing Alistrina, Kala’el has promised to help him capture Charlotte, using Ivan as bait.

While imprisoned, Ivan is allowed a visitor, a girl named Gwin who is to be his slave. The guard that escorts Gwin inside refuses to leave. He tells Ivan that Kala’el ordered him to stay until Ivan brands Gwin. Kala’el has gotten suspicious of their relationship, seeing as Gwin does not bear Ivan’s Domis marks (slave marks).  Ivan has no choice and brands Gwin. Satisfied, the guard leaves them.

Gwin is working for the Resistance, a group of humans in the Faerie realm who hope to free all enslaved humans.  She gives Ivan a vial of blood that belongs to the Resistance leader, The Great Mother, who also happens to be Charlotte’s mother. With this blood, Ivan can create a potion that will strengthen Charlotte’s human half to break all the bonds with Maris and expel Maris from her body.

When we meet Charlotte again, she is travelling to Gri’ah, one of the minor Seelie kingdoms, with Kheelan and Elena. The Queen of Gri’ah is a good friend of Kheelan’s. He says they will have a chance to rest in Gri’ah and look over the notes Ivan left for Charlotte. One thing Kheelan insists on is for Charlotte not to use her powers. Xanthus will track her down if she does.

While in Gri’ah, Charlotte begins having strange memories of Maris's life. She doesn’t understand why Maris is showing her this now. She also begins to have stronger feelings for Kheelan, who appears to feel the same.

In the meantime, Elena has started reading over Ivan’s research. She discovers that there is a tree in Faerie, The Tree of Life that keeps records of all the lineages. Within this tree is the location of the veil. They make plans to leave for the Tree, but Charlotte is kidnapped by Gri’ahn guards who think she is human, and wish to enslave her. Charlotte proves them wrong by killing each one. It is Kheelan who finds her, and moved at his determination at finding her, Charlotte surrenders to her feelings for him and they kiss—a silent agreement that they will explore their feelings for one another.

Back in Tarshish, Queen Alistrina comes to see Ivan in secret. She tells him that she knows of Kala’el’s plot, but had to come and see Ivan to make a confession. She reveals that Charlotte is the veil. Ivan knows he has to reach her and keep her safe, but Alistrina has one more confession. She reveals that the reason Maris hated her was because she forbid Maris from being with the man she loved: Kheelan. Ivan is beside himself as he never knew of Kheelan and Maris’s relationship. He feels guilty that he agreed to marry Maris, and also that he killed her. He is also worried since he left Charlotte in Kheelan’s care. He leaves Alistrina to her fate with Kala’el and escapes to go back to Charlotte.

Charlotte, Kheelan and Elena make it to Coleck where the Tree is guarded by the Resistance. The humans here are in mourning, and Charlotte discovers that they mourn Gwin’s death.  Charlotte is taken to see Gwin’s body and instantly recognizes Ivan’s branding marks on her skin. Charlotte thinks Ivan has betrayed her and decides she was right to give things with Kheelan a try.

Charlotte finally meets her mother, The Great Mother, who also warns her that maybe she should be careful with Kheelan.

That night, Maris reveals the truth to Charlotte about her relationship with Kheelan. She shows Charlotte a memory of when Kheelan vowed to follow her wherever. Charlotte realizes that the only reason Kheelan cared for her was because Maris was bound within her body.