Six: The Announcement

I watched as rain fell heavily from the gray sky, people were running trying to cover their heads with papers or pulling their black cloaks up farther, calling to one another over the rumbling of the clouds, lightening occasionally bathing everything in a white flash of light. My eyes then landed on Seamus who was standing in the rain holding open the door to the carriage, watching me.

“Sophie! Come on, it’s only rain!” Seamus yelled to me.

I shook my head, it was the first day back and I didn’t want everyone to see me with puffy, snarled hair. “No!”

“I’ll come get you!” He shouted, a group of Slytherin girls ran by screaming.

I shook my head again, thanking the roof of the Hogsmeade train station for covering me from the down pour; my heart went out to the first years that’d have to be crossing the lake in the rain.

“I’m coming to get you!” Seamus yelled and then ran toward me, splashing through puddles of water and then tackling me, wrapping his arms around my waist and throwing me over his shoulder.

I screamed, drawing attention to us as he jogged back to the carriage, me flailing in his arms trying to cover my curls from the rain.

He set me down on the steps of the carriage and I climbed in quickly, trying my best to regain control of my hair and heart that was beating hard, the feeling of Seamus’ arms stilled lingered. I waited until Seamus took a seat across from Lavender who had saved the carriage for us and then sat down on his lap, letting his arms slip around my waist.

The carriage jerked harshly, pulling us up a bumpy slope toward the hidden castle. I leaned toward the carriage window to see the towers and turrets of Hogwarts, Lavender was annoyingly jabbering on about her trip to Paris over the summer, angry looks from her were flung my way, her eyes darting to Seamus’ arm and back. As she began explaining her day at the Eiffel Tower we came to a halt in front of large, cream, marble steps leading up to the main entrance hall.

As the door magically opened itself I jumped out, running as fast as I could up the slippery steps without falling, my eyes trained on the large oak doors of the entrance hall, warmth and safety laid only a few strides away. Only as I slid into the great room did I relax, plucking at my curls delicately so as not to make them frizz up or knot together.

A few feet away Ron Weasley was complaining loudly: “…if it keeps up the lake’s going to overflow. I’m soak – ARRGH!”

I watched in shock as a large, round, red water balloon exploded on his head, drenching him even more in water. He stumbled in shock, falling into Harry who had jumped to avoid getting wet himself.

Involuntarily I giggled at Ron, smiling as warmly as possible, Ron’s ears grew red and he adverted his eyes, trying not to blush. I suddenly felt myself blush as well so laughing and turned away only to run into Seamus’ chest. I glanced up at him to see him glaring at Ron and then me, suddenly he walked away, leaving me in the entrance hall as he strode in the Great Hall, anger seemingly radiating off him.

I quickly scurried after him, leaving Professor McGonagall shouting at Peeves behind.

It didn’t take me long to catch up and grab his arm, “What? What’s wrong with you?” I asked, anger slightly flaring up in myself, upset that he’d be so stupid to get pissy over me laughing.

“You were flirting with Ron, right in front of me even!” he snapped, pulling his arm away so he could take a seat next to Dean.

I plopped down in the seat next to him, shocked, “What? No I wasn’t! I laughed, Seamus, am I not allowed to laugh?”