Chapter 7

Dedicated to an amazing man called Paul Ruditis who wrote the most amazing series of books ever and who gave me the inspiration to write this whole story. :)

I lost my favourite book 'Entrances and Exits' earlier this year and so I asked for it again this Christmas from my dad. I opened my presents from him today and read the book on the train home. I actually cried because it's so amazing and lovely.

If you haven't read the Drama! series by Paul Ruditis, I urge you to do so. If you have, you might guess who Andrew will end up with in the end.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS! As a Christmas present from me to you, I give you the next chapter! Also, if you used to read my story 52, about Matt and Aiden (shamefully named after Aiden Grimshaw and Matt Cardle from The X Factor 2010), I also recommend you read my new epilogue for that. I think the message I tried to convey is more important than the actual epilogue. Because you, yes you, are utterly amazing - and you should remember that.

Chapter 7 – Falling Out of The Closet

Like in one of those awful cowboy movies, Adriana and I moved towards each other in slow motion; daggers as eyes. With our hands on our guns, victory on our minds and our bodies on our horses, we levelled up to each other steadily.

"Bang, bang, bang! You're dead!" I shouted, shooting her with invisible bullets.

"Noooo!" she cried, falling to her feet. Her horse neighed, falling with her. "TARQUINIUS!" she shouted, crying.

"You named your horse Tarquinius?" I asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"No reason," I rolled my eyes. "Anyway, you gunna copy my biology homework or not?"

"I'll do it now," she said grudgingly. "But first," she continued, "I want ALL the gossip on Mason. What's the low-down?"

I sighed. "I'll tell you what's happening about Mason, if YOU tell me what's happening with Mark?"

"What's NOT happening with Mark, you mean," she deflated. "He's such a twat. What did I see in him, Andy?"

I shook my head, "No idea. But why did you get upset when I was talking about it in maths? You didn't seem to care about it beforehand!"

"I don't know," she replied truthfully. "I really don't. I suppose I slightly miss him. But then, I don't. Oh, I don't understand it. But, I'm a girl, okay? I have hormones!"

"Oh. My. God. He got you pregnant, didn't he? Oh, no. You're up the duff! You know, I thought you were putting on weight recently!"

"I'm not pregnant, for God sake! We haven't even, you know. And really? Do I look fat?"

"Not fat," I replied, "Just a bit chubby. Rounded. Like a teddy bear."

"Shut up, I know you're lying now. And anyway, you're the one that eats like a pig. I've seen you eat three mars bars for breakfast before. And you can't go a day without a packet of crisps."

"I'm a growing man! Just look at my muscles!" I showed her my bear arms and stared chronically at them, hoping some muscles would start to appear. "Anyway," I said, rolling my sleeves back down, "You haven't even, you know…"

"No!" she shouted.

"Why not?"

"What's that meant to mean?" she cried. "Do I look the type or something?"

"Well…" I started. "Yeah."

"Thanks, Andrew."

"Keeping it real, babes," I replied and received a dark look in return. "But seriously, you were with him for ages. You're not exactly gunna be considered a whore."

She let out an exasperated sigh, "I wanted to, all right? I told him I was ready and all that and, well, he kinda shied away. Then the next moment he was all over me and wanted to do it, but when it came down to it, he… you know."

"Oh. My. God. Are you telling me he couldn't get it up?"

"Shut up, Andrew! I didn't tell you because I thought that you'd go spreading it around, and I don't want that."

"You thought right. Who shall I phone first?"

"NO ONE! I don't want people thinking that, you know, it was any reflection on me… because, you know…" It was then that I noticed the tears streaming down her scarlet face.

"Fuck," I muttered and sat beside her on my bed. I put my arm around her body and pulled her close. She started to cry more. "Ade," I sighed, "Of course it's not any reflection on you. You're beautiful."

She sniffed. "No, I'm not."

"Adriana," I said sternly, "If he can't see how beautiful you are, it's his loss. You're gorgeous, okay? He's blind."

"I'm not, though," she snivelled. I sighed again and just hugged her for a while.

This was getting out of hand. I did so not want to get stuck in the middle of it.

"I'll make you a hot chocolate, yeah?" I tried to reassure her. "I'll even put cream and marshmallows on top." She continued to cry, but gave a weak nod too.

*

The early morning sun rushed in through the curtains and glided over me, awaking me in a good mood, which made a change.

I ate my rudimentary bowl of cereal in a silent happiness and read the morning paper, trying to make myself seem intelligent, but ended up looking pathetically sycophantic when I 'forgot' who the prime minister was.

"Honestly, governments these days…" I said to my dad sat across from me, sipping his coffee. "Who is the prime minister anyway?"

Dad started to laugh, until he noticed my straight face. He silently got up and walked away.

I still don't know who it is. Last I heard, it was Tony Something . . .

By the time I reached school, my happiness had worn off and I felt the normal Monday morning feeling. Adriana was already in our classroom, talking to a group of girls I thought she hated. I said hi to Ron and a few guys hanging around with him. They started talking about Call of Duty and I took that as my cue to leave. Sitting down in my usual seat, I took out my maths homework, trying to make sense of it. It wasn't very hard, to be honest. I was halfway through the 'extension' questions when Adriana finally acknowledged my presence.

"Hey, Andrew," she sat down, giggling.

"Uh, hey…" I muttered questioningly.

"So…" she started, before falling into a heap of more giggles, looking across the room. I caught her making eye contact with the girls she was talking to earlier and raised my eyebrow.

"Ade," I said worriedly, "What's going on?"

Somehow, she composed herself. "OK, before you say no, right, think about me. Ellen really, really fancies you. Just, please, please, say yes. Go out with her? For me, yeah?"

"What? Why?"

"Because…"

"Because what?"

"Then we can be friends with them…"

"You hate them."

"Only because they were popular and I wasn't."

"You're still not," I replied and she shrugged.

"Ellen's brother is Liam."

I sat up. I hadn't thought about that. She never really spoke about him and everyone just took it for the granted that they didn't really like each other much.

"Adriana, we've forgetting one very important fact," I said slowly.

"What?" she asked quickly.

"Believe it or not, I'm gay," I said under my breath.

"I knew I'd forgotten something!" She smiled, "What she doesn't know won't kill her."

It didn't take very long for the rumour to travel around school. In fact, in less than five minutes, even all the teacher's knew about it. Half of which probably had no idea who I was.

I didn't even actually speak to Ellen until break, when we were thrust together in the corridor, with the whole class watching us.

"Uh, hi…" I started. She giggled. "You all right?" I asked. More giggles. Why was that even funny?

"I'm all right," she smiled, still giggling.

It was an awkward turtle moment. Unfortunately, due to weird defect in my thumbs, my turtle ended up limping a bit. She giggled. Again.

"I didn't know you liked me," I got straight to the point.

"Yeah," she giggled.

*

"Kill me now."

"What? Why?" Adriana looked around, startled.

"She is the most boringest, annoyingest, giggliest… thing I've ever met."

"Shut up, she's not that bad," Adriana relaxed into her seat and continued to copy someone's homework.

"It's not just that," I admitted eventually. "I don't like her in that way. It's not fair on her. It's wrong."

Adriana looked up at me limply, "Since when did you become the voice of reason?"

"Since when did you become such a selfish bitch?" I'd meant to say it jokingly. Only, it didn't come out like that.

"Thanks, Andy, Thanks," she replied bluntly and refused to accept my apologies. She simply held her hand out at my face and told me, in the politest way possible, to 'fuck the hell off, you fucking prick.'

Adriana was behaving pretty strangely. We NEVER argued. Like, NEVER. I swear she was becoming a whole new person.

I couldn't imagine Mark rejecting her could do that much to her self-esteem. She was normally always annoyingly happy and she was the funniest, talkative and loud person I knew. She was also most stubborn. She's not really known as being the first to apologise. But why on Earth was she being so grumpy?

I decided to ask Mark at lunch. Adriana was sitting with Liam for unknown reasons and I bumped into Mark in the line for the canteen, which was the perfect opportunity to ask Adriana-related questions.

"Marcus," I said.

He grunted, "That's not even my name."

"No, but I can't speak Swedish and it's similar." I paused to give him time to reply, but he didn't. I continued to talk, "Have you spoken to Adriana recently?" He grunted again, giving a slight nod, which I received as a confirmation of this spoken word between the two of them. "What did you say?" I asked, wondering whether to get my notebook out or my tape recorder.

"She said some stuff…" he shrugged, "Pizza, please."

"Pizza?" I asked worriedly. Why would Adriana want some pizza? Then I realised we were at the canteen. "Same please," I nodded at the dinner lady. "So what did she say to you?"

"She said she hated me, I was a… how did she put it… ******* ******** ******!"

"At least she's honest," I replied and received a dark look from him.

"You're such a twat, Andrew," he looked at me.

"I aim to please," I shrugged.

Finally, he cracked a smile. "Stop being so bloody funny, I don't even like you," he half-joked.