Chapter Twelve

[This is the newly re-written version of this chapter]

When I was nine years old, Lori dared me to climb the gnarled-looking gum tree that towered over the local park near our house. I had eagerly agreed, wanting to prove just how amazing I was, and began making my way up the tree. Two squawking magpies had been perched on one of the branches and they flapped away as soon as they saw me. It was as though they knew that I was in the process of making a mistake. At that moment, I was fearless as children often are. I didn't even contemplate the possibility of falling.

I made it at least four and a half metres off the ground when my small hand slipped from a branch. The next thing I knew, I was sprawled across the grass, every bone in my body screaming in agony. I remember thinking that I was dying. I remember being afraid of what would happen if I did.

My mum had been terrified when she saw me fall. She carried me all the way home, with eleven-year-old Lori and eight-year-old Esther dragging their feet along behind her. When we finally did make it home, I remember her lying me down on the couch, frantically searching for any serious injuries. The only thing she found were deep cuts and bruising; all external injuries.

Now, the brokenness was internal.

After Lori tucked me into bed last night and brought me a glass of water, I succumbed to the exhaustion trying to drag me down. I managed to sleep all the way through the night for the first time in a while. When I woke up, though, reality began to smother me again.

"You don't have to go to school today if you don't feel up to it," Lori murmured to me just after my alarm had gone off. We both knew Dad wouldn't let me. It was nice of her to give me the option anyway.

"I'm okay," I lied. I threw back the covers and stumbled out of bed.

Lori sighed sadly. "I'll drive you and Esther today."

I nodded and proceeded to get ready for school.

Once again, I struggled to cover up the bruising on my face with makeup. My old bruises had been starting to go down, but Dad had aggravated them again, along with giving me another fresh bruise on my jaw. I looked dreadful.

I rolled over several excuses in my mind on the way to school. Someone was bound to ask why I looked like I'd been hit by a bus, and I couldn't tell anyone the truth. The truth would only make things worse than they already were.

I made it through the first half of the day without running into anyone who might possibly pay attention to me. I'd caught glimpses of Max, Paige and Holly throughout the day, yet they seemed to be focused on their own lives for the time being. I was grateful for that. The last thing I wanted was for another run-in with Max.

When the lunch bell rang, I made my way to the usual secluded area where I always sat. It was a shame that most of the people I tried to avoid knew where to find me now. Still, I sat there, hoping to be forgotten.

A cool breeze grazed my skin, something I definitely wasn't used to. The past several days had been filled with overcast skies and cool breezes that pierced through the heavy heat. I knew that a storm was going to hit soon. I welcomed it.

It felt like a storm was going to hit my own life soon. Dread was perched on my ribs, waiting to sink into my stomach. I didn't like the feeling one bit.

Someone dropped down onto the bench next to me. I didn't even have to look up to know who it was.

"Hey," Alex greeted, yet it was void of any cheeriness.

"Hey," I returned, crumpling the glad wrap my ham and cheese sandwich had been wrapped in into a ball.

"How are you?" he asked.