Chapter Three

[This is the newly re-written version of this chapter - 23/7/19]

When my alarm sounded that morning, all I wanted to do was throw the quilt over my head and stay there forever. The thought of going to school sent a swarm of vicious locusts sweeping through my stomach. But alas, staying in bed was not even remotely an option.

A quick glance to my left revealed that Esther was already awake. Her bead was empty yet unmade, and her schoolbag was missing. I assumed she was already out in the kitchen getting breakfast. I was usually a light sleeper but I hadn't heard her get up at all.

As soon as I crawled out of bed, I changed into my school uniform, applied a light layer of makeup – my school had a strict no-makeup policy – and dragged my schoolbag into the kitchen. As expected, Esther was sitting at the dining table eating a bowl of cereal. Dumping my bag down, I poured myself some cereal and sat at the breakfast bar.

Lori padded into the kitchen five minutes later. Her blonde hair hung in a tangled mess around her face and her t-shirt and pyjama shorts were noticeably crumpled. Yawning, she tugged a hand through her hair and winced as her fingers caught in the knotted strands.

"Hey," she greeted sleepily, glancing at both Esther and me.

Unsurprisingly, Esther didn't respond. She continued scrolling on her phone and eating her breakfast.

"Hi," I replied. "You're up early."

"Yeah. I go back to uni today," Lori told me with a slight grimace.

Since she was nineteen, she was about to start her second year of university. When she graduated high school, she had been dead-set on studying a creative writing course. Of course, Dad strongly objected to her choice and told her she had to study a more "useful" degree. Now, she was studying Primary Education. Though she'd complained little, I knew she wasn't enjoying her degree.

"Oh. That came up quickly," I noted.

Lori nodded, placing two pieces of bread in the toaster. "My first class is at nine. I can drop you and Esther off at school on the way."

I smiled in response. "That would be great. Thanks."

Elsewhere in the house, the shower turned on, which meant Dad was now awake. Lori and I locked eyes.

"I'm going to wait in my room until you're ready to go," I said quietly. Rising from the chair, I rounded the bench and deposited my bowl and spoon in the dishwasher.

My older sister nodded. "Okay. I won't be long."

I headed to my room and shut the door behind me. When I caught sight of my reflection in the mirror, I winced. Even with foundation and mascara on, I still looked horrendous. My waist-length blonde hair fell limply around my gaunt face and my eyes were filled with a perpetual emptiness that I couldn't shake. Heaving a sigh, I ran a brush through my hair and hurriedly braided it into pigtail braids. Once I was finished, I scrolled through Instagram until Lori knocked on my door.

"Ready?" she called.

I slung my bag into my shoulders and opened the door. "Yeah," I replied.

We headed to school.

Students were streaming through the main hallway when I arrived. Not a single person spared a glance my way, but I didn't mind. I much preferred being invisible. The only person who ever noticed me was Max, and I desperately wished he didn't. His attention was completely unwanted and I couldn't understand why he felt the need to make life difficult for me. It wasn't as if I ever initiated an interaction with him.