UNEXPECTED INVITATION

The holiday season was approaching fast and several days have passed since visiting Miss Vicky's factory. Truly annoyed at the competition, Willy Wonka worked extra long and hard to find out ways to outrun her. However, no matter how much he worked, his candy was not ending up the way he wanted. His candy creations always reflected on how he felt and they turned out to be somewhat vengeful confections.

Though he would not mind seeing that dreaded Miss Vicky accidentally trying any of his new inventions, he concluded that his exploding candy was not deemed to do well in the shops for one of his oompa-loompas broke all of his teeth. That was going to be another open door for Miss Vicky to create some teeth-growing candy. No, it would not do. He had to speak with Charlie and hope that he still can count on him to come up with a more useful solution. Despite his protege taking a liking to sweets other than Wonka's chocolates, he was always full of new ideas. That was how he became the rightful heir to the factory after all. Making his way over to the chocolate room, Mr. Wonka knocked the front door of the Buckets' house.

Mr. Bucket opened the door, somewhat surprised. "Oh hello, Willy! Charlie is doing homework right now. Is something the matter?"

Mr. Wonka shook his head and looked up to see Charlie walking downstairs... while chewing gum. He did not have to take three guesses on what brand he had. As Charlie found out who was at the door, he stood very still and stopped chewing.

The chocolatier narrowed his violet eyes at him. "Is that gum again?"

Charlie looked down, nodding his head timidly. Mr. Wonka was definitely not happy with the heir to the factory. "Disgusting, Charlie. Spit it out."

Charlie sighed as he took the gum out of his mouth and disposed of it. "I'm sorry, Mr. Wonka. I was doing my homework and the gum helped me clear my mind. I still have your chocolate everyday for dessert..."

"We need to talk, Charlie." Mr. Wonka sighed and walked away.

"Alright." Charlie replied following him outside. As Charlie shut the door behind him, Mr. Wonka sat down on a bench outside the Buckets' house. He rested his hand on his cane, gazing around his amazing chocolate room for a few moments. Charlie sat down next to him, wondering if he was going to speak up anytime soon but he was truly concerned over what his mentor was going through at the moment.

Charlie finally spoke. "Mr. Wonka? Are you alright?"

"Hah?" Mr. Wonka snapped out of his daze. "Oh, I don't know what to feel, Charlie. I don't know what to do anymore. This Miss Vicky is turning my customers against chocolate. I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't make chocolate anymore."

"They're not against chocolate, Mr. Wonka." Charlie shook his head. "You yourself even admit that it increases endorphins. People can't resist your chocolate forever. They're just taking a small break from it."

The boy let out a sigh as he scanned around the wonderful chocolate room and grinned seeing the chocolate waterfall. "Hey, I have an idea that may eliminate your fear of Miss Vicky."

Mr. Wonka gave a nervous laugh. "I am not afraid of Miss Vicky..."

"I see what she does to you." Charlie nodded. "She's trying to intimidate you. You shouldn't let her get to you like that. You're a brilliant candy maker! An absolute genius and if you ask me, I'm sure she is threatened by you as well. You've been making candy for ages and she just inherited her factory last year."

"What's your point, Charlie?" Mr. Wonka narrowed his eyes.

He shrugged. "My point is... well, this might sound bit odd but I was thinking that you should invite her over here. You don't even have to give her a tour of the factory. Just show her the chocolate room and meet my family. I mean, she doesn't have a chocolate room or any room like yours after all. I'm sure it would make you feel much better knowing that she will never have the upper hand in candy making like you."