15 // The Silence is Not so Deafening

The night following Jackson's...transformation, Derek and I were laying in bed. I had my head over his beating heart, my eyes fluttering closed as the thumping slowly drifted me off to sleep. His voice awakened me again, and I sat upright as I stifled a yawn.

"What?" I muttered, my voices slurred.

"I need to take you home tomorrow." he repeated.

"Derek, no." I said flatly. He held my hand lightly, his eyes raking my body. As I pulled the covers up to my chin, he realized what he was doing and immediately stopped.

"Beacon Hills is too dangerous for you, Bryn."

"So what, now you want me to just leave Beacon Hills and let you face an entire pack of Alphas all on your own? I don't think so, Derek!" I hissed through gritted teeth. I was sitting up fully now, fuming as the blood rushed to my face. I was finding this simply unbelievable that he was going to try and force me to go home!

"My father is dead, Derek! I'm not going back to deal with my flimsy pack back at home when you need my help here."

"I don't need your help, Bryn." he corrected.

"Yes you do, Derek! You need a pack to make you stronger, and even though Erica and Boyd and Scott left you doesn't mean I will. I'm not leaving, and that's final." I huffed, crossing my arms.

"You're so cute when you're angry." A smirk crept across his face, and I rolled my eyes.

"Then I must be fuckin' adorable right now, because I'm seething, Derek!" I hissed. He smiled, pulling me on top of him as he pressed his warm lips against mine. I resisted for a minute, but then melted as my body molded against his. I finally pulled away, laying down on his chest.

"I'm not leaving you." I murmured again.

"We'll talk about this in the morning." I could hear the yawn in his voice.

"No, we're talking about this now." I frowned, sitting upright as I propped myself up on my elbows.

"I can't risk you getting hurt." he reasoned, sifting his fingers lightly through my hair.

"I could say the same thing, Derek." I frowned.

"Well, what am I supposed to do? I can't protect you all the time."

"I'm a werewolf." I kept my voice flat, and he chuckled again. "This isn't funny!" I shrieked.

"You know what, fine. If you want to stay here, then be my guest. But you can't just...you have to listen to whatever directions I give to you, whenever I give them."

"Okay." I had pleaded my case, and I appeared to be winning.

"Kiss me." he grinned. I rolled my eyes, leaning in as I gave him a peck on the cheek.

"I love you, Derek." I mumbled into his chest.

"I love you too, Bryn." he murmured back.

It seemed as though for once, the silence surrounding me was not so deafening.