3 // Frustrations

I walked on the street, hands stuffed in my pockets, street lamps illuminating the fog that was flooding the streets in the early morning hours. I crossed the street, heading into the graveyard as I let the dewdrops fall onto my combat boots. I looked at the horizon line, watching the sunlight stretch through the canopies of the forest. I closed my eyes, letting the sunlight trail across my skin. I didn't feel like such a monster during the daytime. Catching a smile spread across my face, I snapped my eyes open at the hint of a shadow crossing my eyelids. It was one of the pack members.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." he said, shooting me a smile. He wore a leather jacket as well, with a brown shirt underneath and jeans. His brown hair was tousled, and I could tell he was in high school.

"Shouldn't you be getting to school?" I frowned, walking over to a bench. He sat beside me, resting his elbows on his knees.

"I could ask the same question." He said. "I'm Isaac, by the way."

"Bryn." I said. "What, did Derek send you out here?" I demanded. Normally, I wasn't this short with people. But his pack members were really starting to piss me off.

"No, actually. I used to work in this graveyard, before my Dad died." he said. He grew silent, as if the events were actually running through his head at that very moment. He shuddered, sitting upright as he rested his hands on his jeans.

"Well to answer your question, I haven't gone to school for a year. I have more important things on my mind." I said shortly.

"Well, if you're looking for the Kanima, you're going to find him at our school."

"I can't register here, my father would find me." I frowned at his plan.

"You don't have to. Jackson has a free first period, he usually spends it in the lacrosse fields. I can give you a lift." He offered.

As stupid as you may call me, I took the ride from the guy. At least he wasn't threatening me to make me join the pack or slitting my throat. The car wasn't anything special, but I didn't expect it to be. As we pulled up to the school, I already had the lacrosse field in sight. I left the passenger seat without so much as a thank you to Isaac, scanning the field for Jackson.

Much to my dismay, I saw a pair of guys sitting on the bleachers. How would I ever be able to interrogate him here? I sighed, thinking.

Come on, Bryn. You're smarter than this.

Set with a plan, I took a deep breath and started in the direction of Jackson. For a Kanima, he certainly didn't look the part. I made a point to walk behind the net where he was continuously chucking the lacrosse balls. He was getting frustrated, and I could see from the dozen that were scattered around the net; shots he had missed. As he took another shot, it hit me in the shoulder, and I played it off as being weaker than a werewolf. I fell to the ground, dropping my bag.

He ran over, kneeling beside me as he placed his lacrosse stick to the side. The two other boys were running over, and I let a fake tear slip from my eye as I bit back a scream.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't even see you there." He said. I sat upright, brushing my straight blonde hair back behind my ear as I sent him a convincingly weak smile.

"It's fine, it was my fault. I had my music on too loud." I said, gesturing to the earbuds on the floor.

"What did you do this time, Jackson?" one of them said. As he looked down at me, his eyes widened.