(4) Challenge Accepted

Lee

           Berkley, California was exactly what the doctor ordered. I had only been in town for two days and my cousin and best friend had managed to keep me busy and my mind off of Madalynne. In fact, we had been on the go virtually since I stepped foot off the plane, I hadn’t even had a moment to think about anything really.

            Austyn knows me too well. She knows my triggers and how easily I can turn on my self-destruction switch and somehow she always manages to keep me at bay when I need it most. She has this nurturing way of bringing me back down and reminding me what’s important.

            Avery, Austyn’s boyfriend of a year has been awesome as well. I knew we were going to be great friends the first day we met him on our cruise to the Bahamas. And I was happy to see someone worthy of my cousin step up to the plate. I was tired of her being walked all over and hurt.

            Austyn and Avery were my two most favorite people in the world to spend time with. They were so much fun along with adventurous like me; I never knew what they had planned next.

            “You hungry man?” Avery turned to me, his long shaggy brown hair obstructing part of his view.

            I nodded. “Yeah, actually.”

            “What are you hungry for?” I heard Austyn’s voice chime in from the living room. I had forgotten about her supersonic hearing.

            “You know, I could really go for some middle eastern food right now,” I admitted. My mind was already filling up with images of kabobs and hummus. My stomach began to rumble. I guess I hadn’t realized just how famished I was.

            “Austyn and I go to this Persian restaurant down the street called Cyprus, it’s really good. It’s only a couple of blocks down.” Avery offered up, I could see him contemplating his order already.

            I nodded instantly. Unbeknownst to Avery, I had dated a Persian girl in high school and had fallen in love with their culture and food. “Let’s go!”

            We wasted no time heading to the restaurant.

            I was beginning to see more and more firsthand what I wanted my next relationship to be like. Austyn and Avery were so kind to each other, so gentle. And I had yet to witness a fight. But Austyn had informed me multiple times before in conversation that Avery didn’t believe in fighting or confrontation. Austyn said he believed in a resolution by words. I envied him for that. I was known to be a bit of a hot head; especially during arguments and I wished that I had the kind of restraint to hold back—cool down—and simply talk things out.

            “How do you guys feel about blind dates?”

            “Do you have a blind date?” Austyn’s eyes shot up, in fascination.

            I laughed at her reaction. It wasn’t really a blind date. But I had no idea what to call it. A blind set up? That didn’t really fit either. “Not necessarily,” I found myself saying.

            “Spill.” Austyn stared me down—her copper eyes fixated on nothing but my lips.

            I couldn’t help but crack a smile. “It’s complicated.”

            Avery was now piercing me with his stare. “Give us the cliff notes version.”

            Where do I even begin?

            “Madalynne,” I began before Austyn rudely interrupted me by waving her arms madly.

            “I thought this trip was to get over Madalynne—not to dredge up old feelings…”

            “It is,” I replied, honestly.

            “Then why are we hearing her name?” She asked, curiously.

            “She wants to set me up with a friend of hers…well, hers and Parker’s…” I trailed off, knowing how crazy it must sound. Damn, it sounded insane to me just relaying it back.

            “Wait—wait—wait.” Austyn shook her hand in front of my face wildly. “You’re telling me that the girl that broke your heart wants to set you up with a friend of hers, who is also coincidentally friends with the guy she chose over you?”

            I nodded, remaining mute.

            “And what’s holding you back?” Her question threw me off guard. It was not one I had been prepared for in the least.

            “You think this is a good idea?” I shifted my eyes between my boisterous cousin and her boyfriend who had been suspiciously quiet during our whole interaction.

            Avery spoke then, “you’re the one who is always preaching to us about taking risks, not looking back, reaping the rewards. Right? So what in the world would stop you from accepting this challenge?” His advice was spot on. He was right. When had I ever been afraid?

            “And plus, you deserve to be happy,” Austyn said softly, squeezing my shoulder.

            I smiled back at them. “I’d like that.”

Jacqueline

            “Show me,” she says, eying me sternly.

            Yeah, right.

            “You wanted my help right?” Ms. Brown asks. “Well in order for that to happen I need to know how deep you are in this.”

            Ms. Brown, or as she likes to be called Kim is the youngest therapist I have ever been to. I liked her almost instantly because she could easily relate. But what she’s asking is so out of my comfort zone.

            “If you don’t show me, I have no choice but to release these records to the hospital,” she threatens.

            I stare in her eyes for a long time, daring her to follow through with her threat. In the end, I’m the one who loses. She has me admitted into Pinecrest. She says it’s for my safety.

            My admin papers state it is for self-harming and suicide watch. Normally when something this life altering and embarrassing happens you worry about your reputation and what people will think about you.

            I don’t have that luxury. The only thing I ponder is if Travis will find a way to locate me.

            I wake up every morning and chant the same mantra, ‘you’re not crazy—you just have an addiction you need to get over.’

            It works well enough. I’ve been at Pinecrest for a week and already find myself wondering how I made it so far in life without Lucky.

            Lucky reminds me what it feels like to be happy; to feel alive. Always smiling and positive; she opened up to me almost immediately. ‘Honey, you remind me so much of myself when I was a young girl.’ I can recall her saying.

            Lucky has attempted to end her life on three separate occasions, unsuccessfully. She is the butt of many jokes due to her name and the third time’s a charm rule not working. She is familiar with Pinecrest and has been admitted three different times. The rumors are that she just wants attention. I close them out. She has been and is a wonderful mentor for me.