(3) Friend Requests & Flirts

Jacqueline

            I remember the first close call like it was yesterday. The blood dripping down the back of my leg, Travis’ wide eyes, and my stammering response, “I-I accidentally nicked myself.”

            He never pushed the issue. He didn’t ask more questions; just rushed to my side, applying pressure via toilet paper to my wound. I know he saw the scars.

            We never spoke about it—we still don’t speak about it. It was awkward enough being caught red handed—so we simply continued on with life as normal as we could.

            Another topic we avoid? My disorder. In fact, we dance around the conversation all together. Travis is too much of a softy when it comes to me and always lets my mistakes slide—even when he shouldn’t.

            I was lurking around on Facebook, bored out of my mind when a notification popped up. It was a new friend request.

            I clicked on the highlighted symbol and was surprised when a handsome male’s photo was staring back at me.

            He had brown skin and black hair. He looked like he might be Filipino. Or maybe even Mexican? His name was Lee Bennett. The name sounded so familiar. But I just couldn’t put my finger on it. Then, I clicked on his picture and his profile popped up on my screen.

            I glanced quickly at his mutual friends. We shared two—Madalynne Johnson and Parker Grant. It can’t be…

            I was still lost in my shock when an IM popped up on my screen startling me.

            You really going to leave me hanging like that? Sweating? It was from Lee—I assumed regarding his unapproved friend request.

            I wondered what Madalynne and Parker must have told Lee to push him to find me on Facebook. Do I know you? I typed back, but added in a wink face emoticon before pressing send.

            Har Har Har, he shot back almost instantly, causing my lips to curve up into a slight smile. Hi, my name is Recently Heartbroken—and you are? He sent after being met with silence on my end.

            I laughed a small chuckle before instantly feeling bad. Lee had been the other guy—the one on the side; just like I had been the other girl. We had a lot more in common than I originally thought. Nice to meet you Recently Broken, I’m Fractured.

            He had a quick wit and had almost instantly sent back a response. Seems like we have a lot of things in common, Fracture. Unfortunately, they weren’t happy experiences. My friend suggested we get to know one another. She implied we might get along.

            I was still giggling. Can we talk normal yet?

            Thank God. It’s almost as if I could hear the breath release in his response.

            So Maddy thinks we would get along? I guess we better trust her—she seems to always be spot on.

            I knew I couldn’t sit and chat with Lee all day…I needed to go grocery shopping…but I found myself awaiting a response; completely intrigued.

            I’m down if you are tiger, he shot back finally.  

            Butterflies began rising in my throat. Attraction was never going to be an issue—Maddy and I tended to have the same taste when it came to that. But letting him in; letting him close was what terrified me most. Being let down is the worst feeling in the world.