Secret Admirer

There it is again. Rose thought as she open her locker and her eyes settled on dozen pink roses neatly tied together by a red ribbon with the same fancy velvet card that comes along with it.

The gifts had become part of her routine. When she finished all her classes for the day, a gift would always appear in her locker from a ‘Secret Admirer’.

“What did you get this time?” Her childhood best friend Jazzy asks. Rather than replying to her best friend, Rose picked up the roses and took a swift of the fresh smell of the roses before handing it to Jazzy who look at the roses with awe and jealousy. “You should get your lock change again.”

Rose look at her best friend before rolling her eyes. She had given up on reporting this incident to her head of department two years ago. They had tried everything in their power to catch this ‘Secret Admirer’ by installing security camera and even changing the lock but nothing worked.

Whoever this ‘Secret Admirer’ had outsmarted them by spray painting the camera’s and pick locking without revealing his identity. There are thousands of student inSt Martinbut no one had seen or caught this guy.

“This is getting old.” Rose whispered catching her best friend’s attention. Rose gently close her locker and lean on it. “It’s been three years since this began.”

The memory of that day hit her like a brick and she couldn’t find away to stop the memory from coming.

~ * ~ Flashback ~ * ~

“Oh, this place is like heaven!” Jazzy sigh dreamingly as we arrived at my locker. “It’s been a month since we entered this university but it still continues to amaze me.”

I giggle and opened my locker. My smile flatter down as my eyes settled on a box wrap in a shiny light pink wrapper. Curiosity soon took over me and soon I found myself holding the box in my hand.

It was at least the same size as an A5 notebook and it was as thick as a normal wooden table but it wasn’t heavy or light.

“What’s that?” Jazzy asks as she moved closer to the present on my hand. I shrug my shoulder and grab the velvet like card. “What did it say? Who is it from?” She pried as I read the letter.

“It doesn’t really say anything but the words ‘Secret Admirer’” I look up and saw Jazzy looking like a little girl in Christmas day.

“Oh my god! A secret admirer already!” Jazzy chirps too happily for my liking. She’s been always the romantic in our friendship. Always dreaming that her prince in shining armour will come and they would live happily ever after.

“Please don’t start.” I begged not really wanting to hear my best friend’s wild fantasy again.

Jazzy pout and stuck her tongue out like a five years old. How mature. I thought as I roll my eyes. “Don’t you even think it’s weird?”

“What is?” She ask looking confuse.

“Whoever this ‘Secret Admirer’ had access to my locker. MY locker!” I said emphasising the word ‘my’. “That’s like invading someone’s privacy!”

Jazzy look thoughtful for a moment then her eyes went wide and gave me her I-got-it! smile. “You probably didn’t lock it properly this morning. We were running late and we just took our stuff. I don’t even remember seeing you close your locker or open it!”

I thought about it and sure enough it did make sense. We woke up late and when we arrive at the campus we only have five more minutes to run to the other side of the campus before classes start. Truth to be told even I don’t remember what happen this morning.