Chapter 5 Gabbi

I ran through the Emergency Room doors, looking for a familiar face. I frantically walked to the nurse's desk. She didn't bother looking up.

"Hi, I'm Maddison Heemer's sister, I was wondering if she's okay?" The nurse still didn't look at me.

"The doctor will be in shortly to brief you and the rest of your party. Please take a seat." I looked around the small waiting room, immediately spotting Zara and Maddi's best friend, Llewellyn. They weren't the only ones sitting there. I quickly noticed Zach, Star and my dad.

Wait a second, my dad?! He had never visited Maddi before and I wasn't even aware that he was home. Which makes sense as to why Zach and Star were here.

"Gabbi!" I heard from the entrance to the Emergency Room. I looked over to see Troy running in, followed by a tall boy with short, brown hair who looked about my age. I immediately wondered who he was.

"Any update on Maddi?" Troy asked frantically. I shook my head.

"I just got here myself." I explained. "Who's your friend?" He glanced behind him to the boy wearing a pair of cowboy boots, blue jeans, and a green plaid shirt. The guy was quiet built, and a bit attractive. He wasn't really my type, though. I had an epiphany, realizing I don't have a type.

"You mean you don't know him? He's in your grade." I shook my head. "This is Tanner Donnelly, we have some mutual friends but don't really know each other and when I got your call, he was the only one willing to give me a ride." I smiled at Tanner.

"Thanks for giving him a ride, I hope it wasn't too much of an inconvenience." Tanner shook his head. "I'm Gabbi, by the way, one of Troy's older sisters as you probably already know." I held out my hand and he took it.

"I'm Tanner." His handshake was strong and firm, I could feel the rough callouses on his hand.

"Thanks for bringing him. I'm pretty sure I can take him home if you don't want to stick around." He nodded and said bye to me and Troy before walking out. I pulled Troy aside before he could get a look at who was here.

"Troy, don't freak out, but Dad is here."

"What?!" He shouted, spinning around to look for him. His loud exclamation caused the whole room to look at him, but he didn't care, he was too busy gaping at our father.

"Dad-" He was interrupted by the soothing voice of a doctor that had just entered the room.

"Maddison Heemers?" She asked. Everyone stood up and walked over to her. She looked at the large crowd. "Family only, please." Llewellyn and Zara retreated back to their seats. The doctor stared at all four of us kids, then at my dad.

"She's going to be okay." The doctor started explaining what had happened to her body, but the only part that made sense to me was that she was okay.

"Can we see her?" My dad asked after she was finished explaining. She nodded and led us to Maddi's room. When we got there, she was fast asleep.

"I'm just going to keep her here overnight for observation. She will be free to go home in the morning." The doctor stated. My dad thanked her and we all gathered around her bed. I was just thanking my lucky stars when Maddi woke up.

"Hey, Mads, how are you feeling?" My dad asked, calling her the nickname he gave her when she was young. She shrugged.

"I'm okay." She said softly. "Where's Zara and Llewellyn?"

"They're out in the waiting room, the doctors won't let them in." I answered. Her face fell a little.

"Oh. Well, will you please thank them?" She asked. I nodded. That's when she noticed Troy in the room.