Chapter Seven

A/N- CW: Swear words and Sexual Assault

Chapter Seven

Kaytee would never admit this to the boys, but she loved bath days. They weren't on any set schedule, usually decided based off the state of their general dirtiness. Sometimes, she would go on her own while Peter and the boys hunted, not having a deep interest in field dressing deer or wild boar.

She especially liked her little private nook in the water, just before the waterfall's edge, the surface rising to her chest and the current weak enough she didn't have to struggle much to stay upright. The water was almost warm, especially if she stood in the sun, watching bubbles shatter into a thousand different rainbows over her toes on the soft, gravelly floor.

It was in these rare moments of solitude she was able to take stock of her new life, and every change that had come with it. Change that she saw around and within herself. Her little family of Peter and the Lost Boys filled her with a deep and unconditional love. She never tired of their company, never grew bored of their adventures and fantastic ability to find new joys in their everyday life. She truly loved the younger boys as she would love her own children. And then Peter-

Oh, Peter, her face flushed and she couldn't help the relentless smile that pulled at her lips, that wonderful boy.

After they had shared their first kiss what felt like months ago, she had worried if there would be regret or awkwardness, especially on his behalf. She knew how she felt, but Peter had already been kissed. Kissed and abandoned... would what they shared be associated with the same result of what transpired between him and that retched Wendy lady?

Her fears had no ground to stand on, though, when he had shown up the next morning on her doorstep(for she had stayed in her treehouse) with a handful of wildflowers, and a warm, lingering peck on her lips.

The rest was history. They easily found pace with each other's affection, no longer having to tread around with the dreadful tension that had weighed on their shoulders. To put it simply, they had only felt relief and a certain level of validation from the kiss: they could both be wanted and kept. And for Kaytee, that want was turning swiftly into love.

For how could she ever fight against what was surely the inevitable? She never tried and didn't have an inclination to start. For her, falling for him was as easy as lying in the afternoon sun on soft, fragrant grass, content to always bask in the warmth and light that was his attention and affection. Though she didn't dare say the words to him, she felt it deep within her chest whenever her eyes met his, or when their lips touched, or when his hand would brush her back as he passed her. She could forever be happy if he let her stay by his side.

She sighed, rinsing the soap from her hair, tugging her fingers through the long strands of her lightening hair. She was tempted to cut it short, just above her shoulders, but sometimes when she would let it run free of its usual ponytail, Peter would absently play with the ends. She even taught him how to braid and ever since, he insisted on perfecting the skill, reminding him of the fancy knots sailors used on ships. No, she would leave her hair long.

After her fingers turned soggy, she reluctantly rose from the water, toweling off quickly before the breeze got her chilled. She pulled on her spare set of clothes and knelt back down to the water's edge, making quick work of washing the dirt from the linen and soft animal hide of her old pair.

When they had visited the Indians again a few weeks ago, Water Crescent had pulled her aside and given her a small bundle of fabric, giggling, telling Kaytee not to look at it until she was alone. When Kaytee had returned to her house that night, she found the bundle to be five pairs of linen panties, resembling the only item of clothing she had kept from her old life. Kaytee nearly wept in relief at the small gift of convenience, hastily peeling off her old underwear she had been using for so long(washing it often in her basin, going commando when they had to dry).