Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A flying boy with no shoes offers a girl he's only just met the opportunity to join him in a mystery land which is somewhere in space, undiscovered by scientists or astronauts. Oh, and his best friend is a little fairy named Tinker Bell. Did Kaytee let all this stop her and question his legitimacy, to make her ponder whether or not maybe she was having some kind of manic episode, and all this was an intense hallucination?

She paused for about five seconds. In those seconds, she could hear the chimes that rang out when Tinker Bell's wings fluttered together and the warmth that her glowing light radiated. Kaytee inhaled and took in Peter's sweet aroma of grass and heat and freshly turned soil. She searched his eyes for any sign of deceit and met only wide eyed, unadulterated honesty. She had a good imagination, but she knew her mind was incapable of creating such a perfect ruse.

She clasped his hand, sending a tingle of warmth up her arm that she tried to ignore, "I'm in."

Again, he smiled more joyously than any human should be able. No, that was wrong. Grownups couldn't appear that happy, only one who still possessed an unfathomable lust for life could have so much glee. Yet, Peter wasn't a child, so what is he? Some strange hybrid? Kaytee tucked this thought away for further consideration.

"I'm glad." He laughed, and dropped her hand, putting his fists on his hips, "I don't know what I would've done if you had said no."

Kaytee laughed too, "I'm sure you would've figured it out. So what now? Do I need to pack?"

Peter shook his head, his curls bouncing, "Nope! We make our own clothes, they last longer than the ones here."

Kaytee glanced down at the unraveling cuffs of his pants, and raised an eyebrow at him. He looked at where her eyes were and laughed again, "No, these aren't an example. These are just some clothes I grabbed a long time ago here, I have to blend in somehow, right?"

Kaytee shook her head, "I think the no shoes thing would've given you away."

Accepting the challenge in her voice, Peter tugged at the collar of his shirt, and wordlessly slipped it off, flinging it onto the bench they had sat on. His pants followed after, quick and practiced. He now stood before her in what appeared to be an outfit made entirely of greenery, leaves and vines woven into a dense and form fitting material. The expertly tailored shorts started just above his knees, clinging to thighs and hips toned evenly from the many days running in the Neverland jungle. They ended just below his navel where a thick sash of vines wound up from his left hip and disappeared over his right shoulder.

A singular cuff of skeleton leaves was tied around his left bicep and on the opposite hip rested his hunting knife, a hand-and-a-half in length. In the golden hour of the setting sun, his exposed fleshed glowed warm like honey. He spread his arms wide and cocked a single eyebrow.

Kaytee forced herself not to linger on his shoulders(sinewy, sun-kissed, not too broad) or his chest(a handful of wispy blond hairs, two light brown nipples, a sharp collar bone framing taute muscles).

"Okay," She conceded and cleared her throat, "so the shoes weren't a priority."

He rolled his eyes and rested them once more towards the western horizon. The top of the sun was still peeking out, but it would be gone soon. "Once the sun goes down, you'll be able to see Neverland. I can always see it though, even when it's noon." His gaze turned wistful and Kaytee recognized it as an expression of homesickness. He shook himself and turned back to her, "I guess it's time we taught you to fly!"

Kaytee's palms suddenly turned clammy. She scanned around them, surprised by how little people were in the park around them. "Shouldn't we wait 'til it's dark? Someone might see."