Chapter Four

Chapter Four

They woke with the sun slowly creeping up from his hiding place(on the northern side of Neverland today), orange and yellow streaks of warmth seeping onto the trees and grass around the camp. Kaytee stretched her muscles, languid and rested. Usually, she didn't sleep well the first night in a new place, but with the crickets singing their sweet lullaby and Peter's warm hand in her own, she had drifted into a deep and dreamless slumber. Seeing him now, rubbing his palms into his eyes, his knees popping softly as he stood to stretch his own limbs, the reality of Neverland really set in.

It hadn't been a dream! She truly had been brought to this magical and strange land, by a boy who flew and hardly aged and had fairy dust permanently on his skin. And though her logical brain still refused to believe such a place existed, the complete wholeness of her heart reassured her of its truth: she was home.

The towels and soap they had traded for yesterday sat in neat bundles by the edge of their small camp; they had even left Kaytee an extra set of clothes. Next to them sat parcels of cheese and bread and a few canteens of water, which had all been left for them at some point before they had woken. Though their bellies were still full from the feast the night before, the Lost Boys eagerly tore into their shares. Peter rolled his eyes and handed Kaytee her own morsels before it could get devoured, also taking a swig from one of the canteens and handing that to her as well. Kaytee drank the cool water, and used a splash to wipe off the leftover paint on her face. Nibs and Tootles strapped the towel and soap bundles onto their backs before digging into their food.

Peter ran a hand through his tousled bed head and wordlessly plunged into the forest, Kaytee and the boys on his heels. The jungle was loud with birdsong and croaking frogs, seeming to announce the presence of the hikers as they wove through the brush. Sometimes, Peter would mimic a particular call and would whistle back and forth with the fowl above their heads. One brightly feathered creature even landed on his shoulder, pecking shyly at his hair. Peter laughed offering it a piece of his bread and it happily squawked its thanks before returning to the trees.

The path they walked was a well worn trail and Kaytee assumed they were headed towards wherever they deemed 'home'. When she wondered this aloud, Peter nodded, "We call it the Underground Home."

"Which is entirely apt, since it's our home and it's underground." Slightly chirped up from the middle of their caravan, and others snickered.

Peter scrunched his nose, tossing a handful of leaves back to them in jest, "Yeah, okay, so it wasn't the most imaginative name I've ever thought of, give me a break!"

The trail they walked was well worn and made it easy for them to arrive at their destination within only a couple hours. Kaytee was grateful when they stopped, her legs still tired and sore from how long they had walked the day before.

The magnificent beast of a tree before them was intimidating and made Kaytee feel about two inches tall. The lower branches were as thick as minivans, and leaves as big around as hubcaps. She craned her head up and from what she could tell, the top most branches towered high above the rest of the tree line. The great trunk which supported it all was as big around as a double-decker bus. Her mouth hung agape, unable to hide her awe.

"She's a beaut, isn't she?" Peter sighed, smiling appreciatively up at the giant tree. Kaytee could only nod.

"Whatever you do, don't tell anyone where it is," Nibs said drolly beside her, "It's a secret hideout. Absolutely no one could ever guess we would live under the least obvious tree in Neverland."

Kaytee giggled at his sarcasm and he smiled back, leading the way to the tree. Curly and Tootles joined him, pushing a rock over that exposed the end of a rope. Nibs tugged on it and a door pulled open in the base of the trunk. Without hesitation, they plunged in, one after the other, Slightly and the Twins as well. Hesitantly, Kaytee peered down into the dark tunnel, a breeze billowing up from the gaping crevice, surrounding her in the earthy smell of freshly turned soil and wet tree bark.