The Dragon Tamers [26]

A sharp inhalation of air filled my chest as I regained consciousness. The blinding white light faded to the deep purple haze of The Veil. My lungs gasped for air, I coughed and choked as I tried to sit up. Someones arms held me firmly in place as I flailed.

"Oh Goddess, I thought I had lost you." The light burns in my eyes slowly gave way to details. Fenwir's face came into view, he was cradling me on the floor in the middle of an ocean of blood.

"What..." My lungs began to calm as they refilled my body's oxygen levels to capacity. I looked around my trashed room, body parts laid scattered all around us, furniture was broken and overturned, a knife still deep in my chest.

"I was so scared I would never be able to tell you I love you too." Fenwir silently cried, his tears etched clean rivers in his blood stained face. I ran a hand through his hair, not even the throws of battle could tangle it, pulling his head down to meet my lips. The hand that wasn't supporting my body grasped the back of my head as we kissed with a fiery intensity. To never see this face again, to never taste these lips again, that would be my biggest regret in dying.

Hesitantly, Fenwir helped me get to my feet and found a robe for me to wear. He inspected the knife in my chest but decided to let the healers deal with it. Fenwir threw some pants on as I sat, bewildered, in the corner of the room.

"Uh, my house..." I slowly managed to say as my thoughts finally began to organise themselves. My bedroom window had been obliterated and instead lay a dragon sized head hole.

"Beogin saved the day, sort of. He snapped up the Human that was about to behead you but it was too late. There was far too much blood on the ground for you to be able to recover. I just held you for a few minutes and you... you came back to me."

I felt our soulbond severe, 'Luna. I've never been more terrified in my life.

Beogin gently stuck his nose in the side of the house.

I called the healers. Well, more like screeched at them until they realised something was wrong. I don't know, if I saw the royal Dragon's face in my house at these wee hours of the morn, I'd safely assume that the Queen is in danger.

I scratched his nose, in between the scales where he liked it. His dark humor did cheer me up a little. I wanted to share my experience with both of them, tell them everything about the afterlife I saw. Something stopped me, tugged at me and pulled me back. Death is a mystery and we must all dive headfirst into that unknown at some point in time; this is not my story to tell.

Do you like my new fashion accessory? It's all the rage in the afterlife. I unfurled my robe to show him the dagger.

Great Mother, no wonder you died.

I slumped on a reasonably undamaged chair letting my laughter escape our mental conversation. Fenwir cocked his head but smiled as he tried to tidy up the place. He couldn't do much more than put the splintered wood into piles at the side of the room.

Half conscious, half delirious, I studied the handsome Elf before me. Muscles undulated and rippled beneath his skin; his skin shone from the sweat of battle. He stood up from his kneel, flipped his perfect blue hair to the other shoulder, patting it down and running his fingers through it effortlessly. Using both hands he gathered it to the top of his head, twirling the hair around itself to form a bun, secured with a tie he had around his wrist. The early light of dawn seeped through the missing wall, bathing this adonis in all his glory.

A shiver of electricity tingled my skin running from my scalp to my fingers. I've never felt anything like it before. It was more than just a spine tingle. Was it my delirious, blood deprived, oxygen starved, lustful brain? Yeah, probably, I brushed it off. My blood caked hair slapped against my face as I shook myself awake. My maid is going to be SO unimpressed.

"Hey, Luna! Don't fall asleep on me. Luna! LUNA!" Fenwir's hands brushed my hair off my face as he shook me with increasing intensity.

"Woah, hey, yeah. I'm here. I'm here. My head's throbbing, are the healers almost here?" Oh, I was really starting to feel terrible. I tried to rest my elbow on my knee and my head in my hand but the dagger sent a shooting pain down my body. Uncomfortable and irritated I tried standing up, Fenwir was ready to catch me as I swayed dangerously close to the window.

"This is infuriating!" I groaned gripping the handle of the blade tugging, testing how well it was lodged in me.

I would advise against removing the blade.

I ignored my persistent companion, tugging a little harder. The blade moved out of me a little but not before an explosion of pain erupted in my chest. I sucked in one big breath and yanked the dagger clean from my body.

"Feluna!" I took one last look around the blurring room, the serrated dagger crashed to the floor. Beogin swore profanities through the bond as Fenwir leapt towards me, arms outstretched trying to catch my now limp body. I didn't fight the compulsion to sleep.