The Dragon Tamers [20]

The morning's sun shone through the window, warming my face, gently rousing me from sleep.

"What a lovely morning." I thought, opening my eyes. "Oh crap, its morning, we have so much to do!" I jolted upright and sprung out of bed.

"Hm?" A sleepy Fenwir murmured as he slowly became more awake.

"Gather the men and dragons and meet me outside my quarters in half an hour. We have work do to." Being madly in love was fun and all, but there was work to be done. Badass warrior Queen was back.

I slipped on my corset and tidied up quickly before dashing out the door, down the stairs, out the door and into the village hub. People and animals rushed around. Some were headed out of the square, others milled at stalls filled with fresh produce, others sat and chatted. The hub was humming with life. Many people greeted me and bowed as I passed them. I prayed I didn't show the signs of a late last night or that I hadn't been in my own quarters. Some wanted to stay and chat, but I just didn't have the patience or the time. it's hard to remain polite and dignified when you really don't want to talk.

Safe in my quiet quarters at last, I plonked myself at the desk and wrote to Mokrush. I asked him how the city was doing, how his people are and if the riders I left with him were sufficient. I noted that I would like him to be present for a council meeting in one months time to discuss the training reigme and other war matters.

Hm, they dont use a crow system here I see. Problematic. How does one send messages in this land?

Baffled but undetered I changed my clothes, plaited my hair and left to track down their postal service. The Mayor was standing in the village hub laughing and chatting to the people. He spotted me, apologised to his companion and strode over to me.

"Your highness, it's good to see you, and congratulations on your recruitment drive. I always knew my people would rally behind such a noble cause." His formalities were laced with apologises and regret.

"Yes, I am very pleased indeed. I am eager to return home and report our status." I wasn't fully comfortable around the man who never thought to protect his people. "Do you have a postal service? I require this letter to go to Mokrush, leader of the Orcs." I was a little too blunt and maybe a tiny bit harsh in my tone.

"Oh, well, um. You see we don't have need for postal service. Our magic acts as a postal service. We usually teleport letters and communications to one another."

Well that was unexpected. I had no idea the Shapeshifters harnessed the power of teleportation.

"Could you teleport this to Mokrush then?"

"I'm afraid not. We need to have a very clear visualisation of where the letter will go, otherwise it could get lost somewhere between space and time. No one here has ever ventured to the Orcish lands."

This man is hopeless. Ugh. Moving on.