Chapter 11

Delilah took a threatening step towards me, growling a low warning. I snarled in reply, curling back my upper lip in my own threat. My muscles tensed, and my body moved into my fighting position, one that isn’t common. It seems as though I’m relaxed, but I’m ready. I studied my opponent, trying to find weaknesses and strengths that I could use to my advantage. She lunged at me, and I tensed, waiting for the impact, but it never came. A blur knocked into her, slamming her up against the wall. My jaw dropped in astonishment as I saw who was holding Delilah against the wall by her throat.

Damien held her there, his eyes blazing furiously, and his face contorted with anger. He growled threateningly. “Don’t you dare attack my mate,” he snarled, making his sister flinch, “or you will regret it.”

“She was disrespecting me!” Delilah spat, struggling against her brother’s hold, gasping for breath.

Damien growled, his hold and glare intensifying. “And you were disrespecting her, the future Alpha Female.”

“Damien,” I whispered, and his head snapped in my direction. I cautiously walked over to him and placed my hand on his arm that was against the wall, his eyes watching my every move. Meeting his furious gaze with my calm one, I said softly, “Let her go. It’s okay.”

He relaxed under my touch as the warmth of the fireworks shot through us. Casting a glance at Delilah, he removed his hand from her throat. She immediately took a giant gasp of air, trying to catch her breath.

“Thank you,” she gasped.

“Sorry,” Damien said, looking at his sister while running his hand through his hair.

I turned to Delilah and said, “Could I talk to your brother privately? You can go and fix up.”

She gave me a small glare as I basically told her what to do. But a low growl from Damien and a flash of anger across his face sent her out the door. As soon as the door closed, I turned to give him a stern glare.

“I could have taken her!” Damien took a step towards me, and I took one back. “Don’t come near me,” I hissed. “I can take care of myself, Damien! And you didn’t have to strangle your own sister.”

“You don’t understand,” Damien said, taking another step towards me. We did the usual routine of him moving towards me and me stepping back until I hit a wall. He placed one hand next to my head on the wall and the other caressed my cheek. “You’re my mate, Amber. I will always want to protect, to look after you, to make sure you’re okay.”

I fought the urge to lean into the warmth of his large hand as I held his gaze. “But you don’t have to.”

He shook his head helplessly. “It doesn’t matter if I have to or not. I’ll always want to. It’s a mate thing, sweetheart.”

“I’m really starting to think it’d be better if I leave before bad things start to happen,” I muttered.

“Leave where to? With John?” Damien spat, anger flaring up on his face. “Should’ve known.”