The Search Part 3: Family First

Ever After Nine

~~~~~~~

She jumped.

I dove forward, trying to grab for her and only ended up bumping into Zuko who tried to do the same.

"I'll get her." Aang snapped out his staff, pressing a button and clicking it into a glider. The wings popped out and Aang jumped off the edge, disappearing below.

I leaned forward, peering off the edge. Zuko grabbed hold of my ankle, pulling me back.

"I'll be fine!" I tried to kick him away, snapping down my goggles.

"Your goggles aren't going to protect you from being smashed on the floor!"

"Yeah, but they'll protect me from wind while flying on Appa."

"Don't you dare jump!" He pulled me back again as I tried to stand, making me lose balance and crash into his chest. He wrapped his arms around my waist to keep me from fighting.

I let out a groan.

"Take off those goggles. You look dumb."

I scowled.

"Katara, land Appa!" I shouted, knowing she was already on it. I leaned over the edge, watching as Azula burned a hole through the glider. Aang grabbed onto her waist, trying to keep her from crashing. When they were near the ground she fought and broke free, landing with a thud and rolling onto all fours. Appa landed with a slam and Zuko and I blasted off the sides, fire helping us lift.

"Help Aang," Zuko shouted. I followed him towards Azula, where she neared a lake. She seemed to be shouting at her reflection.

"You were always afraid of me! You hated me because I was power, and you knew that. You knew I was more powerful than you!" she bellowed, shooting fire at the water.

"Azula, who are you talking to?" Zuko called.

"Why would you care?" She whipped around, that deranged look in her eyes again. "Why would you ever care?"

I stopped, giving them space.

"Azula, stop this. You can't keep acting up, or I'll have no choice but to immobilize you. Understand?"

"You need me, Zuzu," she held out her fists, ready to attack. "I have information. I have the letters."

"We can find Mother together. Don't make me fight you."

"Now that we're so close to Hira'a, I don't need you anymore, Zuko." She frowned, pointing her lightning crackling fingers at him.

"Zuko, get out of the way!" I got hold of the lake, raising it up and forming a wall between them. I blocked Azula's attack as Katara locked her in ice.

Azula lay on the floor, when suddenly her eyes widened.

Sokka had his boomerang raised, a triumphant look plastered on his face. "Finally, my boomerang put a look of fear into your eyes!"

I followed the sound of his voice, turning my body.

My stomach dropped.

Behind Sokka stood a huge wolf spirit with white markings all over his face. I raised my hand, slicing a wave of water at it as it ducked.

"I come in peace!" Aang raised his arms in surrender. "Sorry for disturbing you, Great Spirit, if you'll just let us pass-"

The wolf roared, nearly bursting my eardrums. The ground rumbled beneath my feet, trying to throw me off balance. The spirit snapped his jaws, nearly biting Aang in half.