Different for Girls

Jill folded her arms tightly against her chest, arching her back as she fell ungracefully onto Maia's auburn sofa. Jill's mind drifted to a simpler time, when she and Maia  celebrated Maia's nineteenth birthday by driving out to IKEA to buy in Maia's words, a "cheeky arm piece" for her rather barren "loft". Each sofa model posed a conflict for the pair, and then they came upon this hideous, ugly, sofa. It was looked as though it would have fit on perfectly with the 80's set up in Jill and Maia's favorite show, "The Golden Girls". 

" This is perfect!" Maia had chimed. Jill scoffed, " This? Are you being serious?" Maia roared of laughter, gently nudging as she giggled, " Oh fucking bloody no. But I'm going to buy it."

Jill opened her eyes to find Maia now on top of her, straddling her, with her two legs bent outwards. She squirmed under Maia, as Maia placed her hands on Jill's shoulders.

" You passed out. Is it really that crazy?" Maia asked as she got off of Jill.

Jill rubbed her temples gently, " No, I can't-, David?" She asked, her voice full of excitement. 

" Yes, and he's coming over. We want to tell you something." Maia said quickly as she fumbled around her house, picking up what seemed like endless piles of clothes and dog toys.

Before Jill could ask, a loud buzz arose from the intercom. Quickly rising, Jill ran to the door, greeting David with a smile and with her hands on her hips she excited said, " Hi Papa." David grinned, as he said matter of factually, " Hi Jillian." 

He led himself in, plopping on the auburn sofa.

" You know, Jill-" He began in order for Maia to clearly hear him, " I've never been to Maia's place. We just- you know- liked to do it at my place." David cleared his throat before adding, " Once- yeah one time."

Jill enthusiastically nodded, " Did you take freshman health? It only takes one time. But don't worry-" she assured David resting her hand on his knee, " Maia was required to take four years of pregnancy awareness, yeah four. So don't feel too bad."

David chuckled, as Maia emerged from the kitchen with a pitcher of water and some organic health bars. " Sorry all I had in there."

David softly laughed, moving slightly over on the couch to make room for Maia. He bit his lower lip when she decided to rest on the arm of the couch instead. Clasping his hands together, David coughed, his gaze first towards Maia and then to Jill.

" We're getting married." David said quickly, as the disbelief arose on both Jill and Maia's faces. Jill turned to Maia, " Married? You're- No, no, just a couple of weeks ago you told me you didn't even like-" Jill began as Maia's eyes darted towards her.

"Jill, you know my Mum. She'd want us to do it the right way." Maia muttered.  Aghast, Jill couldn't help herself from laughing as she added, " The right way? Well, I think you've already fucked that one up."

Maia angrily sighed, " You know I didn't say shit to you when your boyfriend knocked you up!"

Jill crossed her arms against her chest as she stated, " My boyfriend of three years, not three minutes mind you. And you know I don't like talking about her." Jill's mind wandered back to being seventeen and in love, and all the mistakes love foolishly had made upon her. His name was Aaron and he was not the type of boy she would ever think to bring home, let alone father her child. But just as she was coming to terms with being a mother, she had a miscarriage in her second trimester. The first thing her mother had done was thank the lord for his choice to take her away from Jill.