lonely hearts club

Jill flicked the side of Maia's phone; pestering her friend to look up from the illuminated screen. Maia's eyes darted up towards Jill, and then to an anxious Sadie, who was biting the pillow cases; tearing them to sheds. Maia instantly got up from the old, beaten couch and scooped up her pug by her stomach.

Cradling Sadie in her arms, cooing her, as Jill remarked, " You know you're going to the worst mom, right?" Maia smirked, placing Sadie in the kitchen, and shutting the baby-proof gate behind her, a gift her mom had sent a few months before." How's that? I have a bloody baby-proof gate for my dog."

Jill laughed, " Exactly." Maia picked up one of Sadie's chew toys, a headless cat; and plumetted it towards Jill.Jill dodged the flying toy, frowning as she said, " Don't take your sexual angst out on me."

Maia threw her head back laughing, " Sexual angst? That's such a David thing to say."

Jill smiled, nudging Maia's side lightly, " Talking about David-"

Maia shook her head, grabbing her phone from the couch, " No, we aren't talking about him."

" All I was going to say was that it's Valentine's Day and you're sitting around your house with me, when you could be with some guy, enjoying dinner and maybe some-" Jill smirked, as Maia shook her head, scrunching her face up. "

What, Jilly? Do you have some hot date tonight, and you're just trying to bag me?" Maia exclaimed as Jill softly laughed, " God, I wish." "

See? You don't even have a date, and you're badgering me to go out with David." Maia remarked, turning on the television to yet another crappy romantic comedy.

Jill looked towards Maia, " Maia, I never said you should go out with David, I just said some guy. But!-" Jill exclaimed excitedly claimed standing on top of the couch, " Oh Maia! I read about this in one of my old pyschology classes- this means you're so into him. Listen, just call him up and see what he's up to. That's all I'm asking."

Maia took her phone, as she began to dial David's number, " If I call will you stop talking?" Jill nodded, pretending to zip her lips; as she was barely able to contain her excitment. Maia stood up, pacing from her living room to kitchen, anxiously await to hear David's voice on the other side. Half of her hoped that she would get his voicemail; a quick escape.

She nearly hung up before she heard David's raspy, almost sleepy voice answer, " Hi Aussie, what are you up to tonight?"

Maia smiled to herself as she replied sarcastically, " The usual, I was planning on going to the bar and hook up with the bartender; because I'm just a lonely chick on Valentine's Day. You?"

David laughed, teasing, " Yeah, that was my plan, too. I heard he's one sexy hunk." Maia smirked, " Well, if those plans fall through any chance you're up for a couple drinks tonight?"

David smiled to himself as he replied, " Of course, I'll pick you up in like fifteen minutes? I just have to put a shirt on."

Maia's smiled faded; she looked down at her stained sweatpants and frayed flannel. " Get your ass upstairs, I'll keep David busy." Jill said quickly, as Maia darted upstairs, ravenously tossing clothes onto the floor. She thought that she had finally settled on an outfit, when Jill shouted, " David's pulling up, and remember it's just casual drinks."

Maia finally settled on high waisted jeans, an old band tee and a white cardigan. She threw one of her old army surplus jackets on top, and quickly laced her dirt stained chuck taylor's that she managed to rumage out of her closet.

David placed his car in park, turning off the ignitation, he opened the door. He walked up to Maia's apartment complex, and dialed her number into the keypad.

Jill's voice boomed from the speaker, " Come up!", with a loud click of the door. David slowly walked up the stairs, stopping quickly to fix his flannel. Maia appeared on top of the stairs, " Got a hot date?" She asked, smirking. David laughed, as he nodded, " Yeah, she looks pretty hot." 

Maia blushed, as she whispered to Jill, " I'm leaving. Oh- and please make sure to put Sadie in the pen thing before you leave."

David held Maia's door open for her, as he got into the driver's seat. " Where to?" He asked, as he drummed his fingers against the steering wheel.

" How about that little bar- seven grand?" Maia asked, as David smiled, " That's my favorite bar in town." 

It taken more than three or four cocktails to make Maia tip over the edge. She clung onto David's neck, asking one of the waitress' to take a picture of herself and her boyfriend. David spun around, " Your boyfriend?" 

Maia nodded; slurring her words, " Yeah- I mean we aren't really together, but I want to be." David shook his head, " I didn't know you were into me." Maia laughed, " Oh course I am," She pinched his cheeks, while being barely even able to stand herself, " You're sexy." David laughed, draining another two beers. Soon, David himself was barely even to stand. 

" Call a cab, I'm going home with you." Maia said, throwing her arms around David's neck. When Maia and David reached David's apartment- a cramped shack in the middle of the city, she quickly placed her lips against his. David picked her up and they both fell back against the bed. Maia ran her hands down to the small of David's back, tugging his flannel off. 
" Maia." David breathed hesitating, as Maia replied, " Shut up and kiss me." 

Maia awoke to an empty bed. She vaguely remembered going home with someone. Looking around the apartment, she immediatly noticed that the apartment belonged to David. She quickly threw her clothes on, and tip toed out of the bedroom. As she was about to escape, she found David, holding in one hand a tray of food, and in the other one single rose in a mason jar. David smiled, " I'm sorry if I woke you up- are you leaving?" He asked, confused.

Maia nodded, " Thank you, for the food and the flower is really sweet. I just- David, this was a mistake." 

David shook his head, " Why? Maia, I don't think this was a mistake. Or atleast what I remember of it. I made some food- please sit, I made all of your favorites." Maia shook her head, kissed David's cheek, and scurried out of David's apartment.